BigPaul is here

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • BigPaul2600
    replied
    Re: BigPaul is here

    Well I made it through induction...

    I am down 23lbs and starting my first week of OWL.

    The elliptical gets easier everyday and I find myself staying on even after the program has quit.

    I ordered a weight bench and I've got a few sets of dumb bells so as soon as the bench gets here I will start to split my week up. 3 days on cardio 3 days on weights 1 day rest.

    Leave a comment:


  • Chef Kevin
    replied
    Re: BigPaul is here

    there is a guy out there that has some videos called combat conditioning.
    I am so fat and out of shape that most are out of the question, but the ones I can do kick my butt!

    I found some used on ebay. Search under Matt Furey or combat conditioning. Or look it up on the web and pay way too much....

    But, the exercises are odd looking, but wow.....

    Leave a comment:


  • rweeks
    replied
    Re: BigPaul is here

    [QUOTE=BigPaul2600;986573]I was thinking about just doing cardio and trying to drop as much as I can... But a lot of people are telling me I should be lifting... the only problem is that I live in a very small town and we have no gym... I had to buy my own elliptical. Maybe I can just do some body weight stuff? Any suggestions? /QUOTE]

    Just stick to core exercises using your weight. Push-ups, lunges, crunches & squats with just your body weight. Start off very slowly on the squats and lunges. even one set of 10-15 reps once or twice a week will kick your butt at first..... then up the number of sets as you feel you can. It is easy to injure yourself when we are big strong and out of shape. We tend to remember how we did it when we were really young. Good luck and keep me posted!

    Leave a comment:


  • Sherri
    replied
    Re: BigPaul is here

    Hello Paul,
    Welcome to ADBB and Atkins
    Post often and join some challenges. A great way to meet people and make new friends.
    Again, welcome!
    Sherri

    Leave a comment:


  • BigPaul2600
    replied
    Re: BigPaul is here

    After I did my cardio this morning I tried doing some sit-ups. I don't even know when the last time I did a sit-up was. I did a set of 12, took about 30 seconds to a minute rest, did another set of 12, rest, on the third sit-up out of my third set all of my abs cramped up like crazy. it hurt... but it felt good at the same time.

    Like I said before I do not have access to a gym so I'm just going to try and do some body weight stuff... maybe I can get a bench and some dumbbells or something...

    Leave a comment:


  • Chef Kevin
    replied
    Re: BigPaul is here

    Paul, I suggest weight training instead of cardio. If you build some muscle, it will help burn fat. Cardio burns calories while you do it, but doesn't really build muscle, it tones what you have.
    Weights build muscle, which burn calories all the time. I weight train 3 days a week and do cardio on the 3 opposite days. And I take a day off (usually saturday) to recover.
    But hey, at least you are doing something, which is better than doing nothing any day!!!!
    Build up to it slowly. every once in a while add something else to your program.

    Leave a comment:


  • BigPaul2600
    replied
    Re: BigPaul is here

    Originally posted by Chef Kevin View Post
    Paul, I am a 38 year old guy and I started at 363. Just a pinch less than you.
    I know you can do this. I'm down about 30 pounds myself in 3.5 weeks.

    You have the advantages of being male and young! use this to your advantage!

    Stay in touch!!! Keeping active on this board really helps.
    30lbs in 3.5 weeks? That is awesome. I'm starting to think that my 30lbs in 8 weeks goal is going to be an easy one to pass... Maybe I'll be able to enjoy myself a little bit when I go home in December... but not too much... wouldn't want to fall backwards.

    Originally posted by rweeks View Post
    Hey there big Paul. It looks like you and I are on the same boat. I have been on board for a little less than 10 weeks. Great job hitting the cardio early on. I do suggest weight training as well (if you are not already doing so). Being as large as I am the weight training has kept me from getting that "saggy" look that some get when losing a lot of weight. Great job seeking out a support group like this to help you along; it has helped me tremendously! Welcome aboard and good luck (especially during the holidays!). Drink lots of H2O and stay away from the non-Splenda diet drinks!
    I was thinking about just doing cardio and trying to drop as much as I can... But a lot of people are telling me I should be lifting... the only problem is that I live in a very small town and we have no gym... I had to buy my own elliptical. Maybe I can just do some body weight stuff? Any suggestions?

    Originally posted by eagerbeaver View Post
    Hey paul that is great i weight the same as you, and looks like we started on the same day. Can you give me some pointer on what you are doing. Thanks
    I'm just sticking to the diet really. All my meals have been prepared from the Dr. Atkins' New Diet Cookbook. I am only drinking water and iced tea, some nights I've been having a cup of green tea after dinner. I've also found the Atkins Day Break Bars and the Shakes to be a great little snack. Just enough taste that it will put my cravings for something sweet so sleep and I feel great.

    On top of that, as I mentioned before I'm doing cardio, I only got in 3 days last week but I hope to get 6 in this week.

    You guys feel free to PM me, although I only had one really bad day last week where I just wanted to eat everything (I didn't... I fought the cravings all night) I'm sure there will be more days like that and it'd be nice to have some people to talk to.

    Thanks again everyone!

    Leave a comment:


  • eagerbeaver
    replied
    Re: BigPaul is here

    Hey paul that is great i weight the same as you, and looks like we started on the same day. Can you give me some pointer on what you are doing. Thanks

    Leave a comment:


  • Mommy2LittleMissBellaBre
    replied
    Re: BigPaul is here

    Thats great congrats!!!! go you

    Leave a comment:


  • rweeks
    replied
    Re: BigPaul is here

    Hey there big Paul. It looks like you and I are on the same boat. I have been on board for a little less than 10 weeks. Great job hitting the cardio early on. I do suggest weight training as well (if you are not already doing so). Being as large as I am the weight training has kept me from getting that "saggy" look that some get when losing a lot of weight. Great job seeking out a support group like this to help you along; it has helped me tremendously! Welcome aboard and good luck (especially during the holidays!). Drink lots of H2O and stay away from the non-Splenda diet drinks!

    Leave a comment:


  • Chef Kevin
    replied
    Re: BigPaul is here

    Paul, I am a 38 year old guy and I started at 363. Just a pinch less than you.
    I know you can do this. I'm down about 30 pounds myself in 3.5 weeks.

    You have the advantages of being male and young! use this to your advantage!

    Stay in touch!!! Keeping active on this board really helps.

    Leave a comment:


  • Skeptika23
    replied
    Re: BigPaul is here

    My exercise program also started slowly and incrementally - in April I could sorta do one pushup. Today, if I push it, I can get to 30.

    Do it every day and it gets better and easier!

    Leave a comment:


  • BigPaul2600
    replied
    Re: BigPaul is here

    Thanks a lot!

    As far as exercise goes I purchased an elliptical and while the first 2 days I was only able to stay on it for about 5 to 7 minutes I actually stayed on for the whole 20 minutes (pre-programed weight loss button) yesterday.

    Leave a comment:


  • sallyseachange
    replied
    Re: BigPaul is here

    Warm welcome aboard Paul! I'm so happy that something "clicked" and you decided to lose weight and get healthy... also that you opted for Atkins. As you can see from your great start (congratulations), it really works! It'll continue to work too, as long as you follow the plan to a "T".

    Keep us posted. We're all in this together!

    Leave a comment:


  • ceemarie
    replied
    Re: BigPaul is here

    Welcome Paul,

    Congratulations on your weightloss and remember to take each day as it comes. You are off to a fantastic start. Don't forget your exercise and water intake. Both are important for your body.

    Best of luck to you!

    Cheryl

    Leave a comment:

Working...