eating out on atkins

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Eirerogue
    replied
    Re: eating out on atkins

    Took my wife out to dinner....had a sliced flatiron steak and some fresh veggies. Beautiful plate and fresh baby carrots and halved brussel sprouts grilled. But I was surprised when I tasted the brussel spouts and found them sweet. I asked the waiter and he checked the kitchen and found they use a sugar on the brussel sprouts in prep.

    I find after almost two weeks of induction, I'm very sensitive to any sugar taste. It's almost like an alarm!

    Leave a comment:


  • atkinsgal08
    replied
    Re: eating out on atkins

    Ruby River Steakhouse Restaurant : Sizzling Platter Inc.

    There's a "contact us" ... simply write to them.

    Leave a comment:


  • Princess59
    replied
    Re: eating out on atkins

    we eat at ruby river steakhouse every month and can not find anything on carb counts.. anyone ever eat there have any in site on this?

    Leave a comment:


  • sweet-like-coco
    replied
    Re: eating out on atkins

    Yes that's a good sign and I am glad she has people around her who love her and care about her

    Leave a comment:


  • mission to lose
    replied
    Re: eating out on atkins

    Originally posted by sweet-like-coco View Post
    Aw that's so sad. I bet she needs lots of love now. I can't imagine what it must be like to lose your partner....

    We are taking good care of her. AT LEAST SHE STILL LIKES TO GO OUT TO EAT!!! LOL

    Leave a comment:


  • sweet-like-coco
    replied
    Re: eating out on atkins

    Aw that's so sad. I bet she needs lots of love now. I can't imagine what it must be like to lose your partner....

    Leave a comment:


  • mission to lose
    replied
    Re: eating out on atkins

    Originally posted by sweet-like-coco View Post
    Hi!

    no i couldnt find the info either as I just thought that meat would definitely be a safe choice and that is why i was upset.Wish your mum a happy birthday
    OK, thanks, I thought maybe you found a secret link like the one I found for the Cheesecake Factory. So just be careful with your choices. When ordering steak or fish, ask them to not add any seasonings, burgers, no special sauces, etc. Those seasonings are FULL of salt, and you may swell up for days!!!LOL

    Thanks for the Birthday Wishes. You are so sweet!
    My sister and I were trying to do something more special for her 80th, but she made it VERY clear, no big party or anything like that. The immediate family will have a party, and then the Lunch on her actual Birthday.

    We threw many other ideas out to her, like day at a spa for all 3 of us, maybe an overnight somewhere with a nice dinner and show, but she wasn't up to it. My Dad passed away in November, and actually she is just NOW starting to face it. So she is not at all in the mood for anything "too much."


    Thanks again!!!



    EDIT--HAHA still have server problems I see, I previewed, made a change, and both posts showed up!!!LOL
    Last edited by mission to lose; March 29, 2010, 09:43 AM. Reason: text added

    Leave a comment:


  • mission to lose
    replied
    Re: eating out on atkins

    Originally posted by sweet-like-coco View Post
    Hi!

    no i couldnt find the info either as I just thought that meat would definitely be a safe choice and that is why i was upset.Wish your mum a happy birthday
    OK, thanks, I thought maybe you found a secret link like the one I found for the Cheesecake Factory. So just be careful with your choices.When ordering steak or fish, ask them to not add any seasonings, burgers, no special sauces, etc. Those seasonings are FULL of salt, and you may swell up for days!!!LOL

    Thanks for the Birthday Wishes. You are so sweet!
    My sister and I were trying to do something more special for her 80th, but she made it VERY clear, no big party or anything like that. The immediate family will have a party, and then the Lunch on her actual Birthday.

    We threw many other ideas out to her, like day at a spa for all 3 of us, maybe an overnight somewhere with a nice dinner and show, but she wasn't up to it. My Dad passed away in November, and actually she is just NOW starting to face it. So she is not at all in the mood for anything "too much."


    Thanks again!!!

    Leave a comment:


  • atkinsgal08
    replied
    Re: eating out on atkins

    Sometimes the only thing we can do is to make the best possible choice(s) we can for the situation we're in.

    We can't expect to control every ingredient 100% of the time ...

    This is about learning what some of the best choices might be ... and where some of the red flags are.

    >>definitely be a safe choice>>

    It might have been ... if this is a place you go to frequently, then write to them via the website and ask questions.

    That's how I learned that Outback puts brown sugar on the vegetables.

    Leave a comment:


  • sweet-like-coco
    replied
    Re: eating out on atkins

    Hi!

    no i couldnt find the info either as I just thought that meat would definitely be a safe choice and that is why i was upset.Wish your mum a happy birthday

    Leave a comment:


  • mission to lose
    replied
    Re: eating out on atkins

    Originally posted by sweet-like-coco View Post
    Oh no I can't believe it I thought I was being so good as well... I went for the mushroom because it sounded like the most innocent and I asked if they used any sugar in it- i used the diabetic excuse- and the waitress said no. I didnt think to ask abou the meat though.....

    Hi, I have a question for you. Your comments above sounded like you were reacting to information from TGIF Nutrition Website. Or am I mistaken. The reason I am asking is because I have not found a TGIF nutrition site, and was curious.

    I do eat there, but I also eat there enough where the kitchen staff is aware of my diet, and they willingly prepare my food choices exactly as I ask. It is good to frequent the same places so that the staff knows you and appreciates your loyalty, and are more willing to honor your special requests.

    Restaurants have not yet been required to post/reveal their nutrition info, except for 1 or 2 states.

    Here is a link for another chain famous for their "CHEESECAKE". The info is on their menu, and this person took a picture of the menu and posted it.
    If it is difficult to read, you can copy and paste it to word and then enlarge it.


    The reason I bring this up, (it is not TGIF), but it gives you an idea how many carbs can be in Restaurant Food.
    Unfortunately, my Mom wants to go there for her 80th birthday "LUNCH" next month. After looking over the menu, I think I will be able to have a stalk of celery and a decaf iced tea.

    Leave a comment:


  • Eirerogue
    replied
    Re: eating out on atkins

    I also travel a great deal and have to be careful what I eat at restaurants and on plans, especially in international travel!

    I've grown accustomed to using local restaurant web sites for nutritional info and as previosuly stated, no info raises flags with me too.

    If I've any doubt, I just go straight for the basics of induction. Small amount of greens and a small steak or chicken breast. I must say that restaurants (at least in SoCal) are getting really great about accomodating a low carb lifestyle.

    It CAN be done, but you've got to get a little more pickey on sauces, bastings and hidden sugars. Good luck!

    Leave a comment:


  • mizski
    replied
    Re: eating out on atkins

    Originally posted by atkinsgal08 View Post
    Did you check their website for nutritional information before you went?

    T.G.I. Friday's® Worldwide: Menus
    TGI Fridays does not share their nutritional information...it is not available on their website. To me that is a HUGE red flag.

    I used to eat at Fridays pre-Atkins and most of their foods are not low carb because of the sugars and starches in most items. This is true of a lot of the chain restaurants (Applebees comes to mind). Even the butter is a "sauce" with additives.

    IMO most chain restaurants have food preparers (not chefs) who do not know how to prepare foods other than the fomulaic way they have been shown. And many servers are pretty clueless as to the ingredients in dishes which can be dangerous for those with actual food allergies.

    I now stick to local or higher end restaurants that have an actual chef and use fresh ingredients. They know how to modify a dish. And the servers have usually been there for some time and are more knowledgeable about what is in the food.

    Leave a comment:


  • not2late
    replied
    Re: eating out on atkins

    If you know what restaurant it is, then look up their website to see if they have nutritional information on their dishes. That way, you can meal plan before you get there.

    If it's a restaurant that doesn't have a website, then you can request that your food is not to be prepared with any grains, added sugars, etc. Many restaurants are good about these special requests and will comply with a diner's request for a gluten-free, peanut-free, nut-free, soy-free, whatever-free, meal. Don't be embarassed. Ask. Most chefs want the diner to tell them these things so they can prepare the meals accordingly. I imagine it's a pride thing on their part because it would be discouraging if a chef sends out a plate, only to have 2/3s of it untouched because the diner can't eat this or that on the plate.

    So be prepared when you go to these places. Don't take anything at face value. At the same time, chalk this up to a learning experience and continue with your Atkins.

    Leave a comment:


  • dyjack
    replied
    Re: eating out on atkins

    Sweet - We used to eat out more than we cooked at home. I still meet my friends for dinners and attend the occasional business lunch. As others have said, start with a restaurant that you know. Planning ahead is essential. I usually study a restaurant and menu until I know it inside and out before I eat anything there. I also check the internet for information on the ingredients. This is how I learned that Applebee's in some places injects their steaks with sugar. There are lots of tidbits like that on this board and on blogs. If you plan ahead you can also call the restaurant directly.

    So as with everything with this WOE, especially early on, planning is everything.

    Good luck!

    Leave a comment:

Working...