What do I say to this person?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • liv
    replied
    Re: What do I say to this person?

    I just wanted to add another study to this thread. It is not out yet but will be published in the November issue of Hepatology. Jimmy Moore blogged about this study recently
    Dr. Jeffery D. Browning, assistant professor of Internal Medicine at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center researched what happens when you restrict carbohydrates and concludes that (according to Moore)
    Those in the CARBOHYDRATE-RESTRICTED group saw an INCREASE in the production of glucose by the liver through gluconeogenesis, where the body can make its own carbs from the protein consumed in the diet. This is why even in the absence of a significant amount of carbohydrates the body can still function at a high performance level–something the researchers took note of.
    So in other words the brain (and body) gets plenty of glucose in a restricted carb diet.
    Read the blog here
    Low-Carb Examiner: Low-carb diet creates as much glucose as a low-calorie one, research shows

    Leave a comment:


  • Elizellen
    replied
    Re: What do I say to this person?

    Originally posted by SunnySmile501 View Post
    Elephants are vegetarians! I rest my case.

    Leave a comment:


  • SunnySmile501
    replied
    Re: What do I say to this person?

    Elephants are vegetarians! I rest my case.

    Leave a comment:


  • JimboK
    replied
    Re: What do I say to this person?

    Was the Atkins diet the subject at hand -- for example, were you asking for advice -- or was yours just a passing comment? If you weren't asking for advice then follow FLSunShine's advice: you don't need to debate and you owe no explanation.

    One of my pet peeves in forums is folks offering unsolicited advice, especially on something irrelevant to the thread's subject. It's easy to do, and I admit I've been guilty myself. People that do it are usually well-intentioned, so I politely remind them that that's not what I'm here to discuss. If they persist, I ignore them.

    As an example, on another forum (with environmental discussions) I recently asked how best to recycle used cooking oil, saying I had begun the Atkins diet and bought a deep fat fryer. One member chimed in with some negative comment about its effects on cholesterol or some similar garbage. My response: "Thanks, I've done my research. That's not the kind of advice I was asking for."

    Leave a comment:


  • FLSunShine
    replied
    Re: What do I say to this person?

    Originally posted by susan423 View Post
    Well, I've decided to let it go. I'm no good at debating. I pretty told her what Brook had said. She still insisted that the body needs all food groups. I told her that the body does not need sugar and processed crap. She disagreed again. I told her that my body does not need a twinkie (no matter how much it thinks it does ) Then she said that my head knows more then my body so I must "need" a twinkie How do you debate someone like that Anyone that can do a really good job of debating this, pm me and I'lll give you the website. But I'm done
    Honey don't even waste your time. Let it go. What good is debating with her going to do? It will only bring doubt and confusion to you. Stay focused and achieve your goal. Let the bull go on down the road somewhere. Don't even go back on that site. Why? Follow after peace and Stay focused.

    Leave a comment:


  • FLdoodette
    replied
    Re: What do I say to this person?

    Originally posted by Asclepius View Post
    Along those same lines, we have an old Alaskan proverb that says, "Never try to teach a moose to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the moose."
    And, boy oh boy, you do not want to annoy the moose! LOL!!!

    Leave a comment:


  • Brook
    replied
    Re: What do I say to this person?

    Originally posted by FLdoodette View Post
    Hi, Susan! Good rule of thumb: Never argue with an idiot. Saves a lot of time and aggravation.

    See....and when I tell it, "Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and then trump you with experience."

    You threw out the info, they'll do with it what they will.

    You can lead a moose to singing but you can't ....nahhhhh. Nevermind.

    Leave a comment:


  • Asclepius
    replied
    Re: What do I say to this person?

    Originally posted by FLdoodette View Post
    Hi, Susan! Good rule of thumb: Never argue with an idiot. Saves a lot of time and aggravation.
    Along those same lines, we have an old Alaskan proverb that says, "Never try to teach a moose to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the moose."

    Leave a comment:


  • liv
    replied
    Re: What do I say to this person?

    It is impossible to convince people who are stuck on something. It is obvious that metal confusion is common in people NOT on Atkins especially when it comes to their opinions about this diet.
    Research show that the body will produce the glucose the brain needs. Glucose does not only come from carbohydrates.
    One experiment from 1995 on rats showed this to be true (and we who do the diet knows that the mental confusion is rubbish)
    Here is the abstract from the 1995 research (published in Neurology)
    We measured regional cerebral metabolic rates for glucose and selected cerebral metabolites in rats fed one of the following diets for 6 to 7 weeks1) regular laboratory chow; (2) high-fat, carbohydrate-free ketogenic diet deriving 10% of its caloric value from proteins and 90% from fat; and (3) high-carbohydrate diet deriving 10% of its caloric value from proteins, 78% from carbohydrates, and 12% from fat. In preliminary experiments, we found that moderate ketosis could not be achieved by diets deriving less than about 90% of their caloric value from fat. Rats maintained on the ketogenic diet had moderately elevated blood beta-hydroxybutyrate (0.4 mM) and acetoacetate (0.2 mM), and a five- to 10-fold increase in their cerebral beta-hydroxybutyrate level. Cerebral levels of glucose, glycogen, lactate, and citrate were similar in all groups. 2-Deoxyglucose studies showed that the ketogenic diet did not significantly alter regional brain glucose utilization. However, rats maintained on the high-carbohydrate diet had a marked decrease in their brain glucose utilization and increased cerebral concentrations of glucose 6-phosphate. These findings indicate that long-term moderate ketonemia does not significantly alter brain glucose phosphorylation. However, even marginal protein dietary deficiency, when coupled with a carbohydrate-rich diet, depresses cerebral glucose utilization to a degree often seen in metabolic encephalopathies. Our results support the clinical contention that protein dietary deficiency coupled with increased carbohydrate intake can lead to CNS dysfunction. NEUROLOGY 1995;45: 2261-2265
    As you can see the research showed that rats on a carbohydrate diet on the other hand suffered from "mental confustion" because protein is needed to maintain good brain function.
    Last edited by liv; October 8, 2008, 04:13 PM. Reason: spelling, grammar

    Leave a comment:


  • susan423
    replied
    Re: What do I say to this person?

    Originally posted by misplaced southerner View Post
    susan, you know that old saying "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.".....continue to empower yourself with KNOWLEDGE....and ummm, yea, sometimes we just have to ignore those little head voices that are telling us we need twinkies and such because isn't that how we gained weight in the first place?

    you are smart....you stated what you know. now, when you continue to melt and gain good health and yes, your brain will work JUST FINE IF NOT BETTER....your pal will be wondering why that darn scale won't move and the brainfog won't lift....and you can smile all the way to the smaller size department!
    Thanks, I usually don't care allot what other people think but sometimes I just get tired of holding my tongue and just want to shake people until they here what I'm saying Then I come to my senses and shrink back into the corner again

    Leave a comment:


  • FLdoodette
    replied
    Re: What do I say to this person?

    Originally posted by susan423 View Post
    Well, I've decided to let it go. I'm no good at debating. I pretty told her what Brook had said. She still insisted that the body needs all food groups. I told her that the body does not need sugar and processed crap. She disagreed again. I told her that my body does not need a twinkie (no matter how much it thinks it does ) Then she said that my head knows more then my body so I must "need" a twinkie How do you debate someone like that Anyone that can do a really good job of debating this, pm me and I'lll give you the website. But I'm done
    Hi, Susan! Good rule of thumb: Never argue with an idiot. Saves a lot of time and aggravation.

    Leave a comment:


  • gooniegirl
    replied
    Re: What do I say to this person?

    I'd say forget about it! The advice of not casting pearls to swine come to mind!
    Gigi

    Leave a comment:


  • misplaced southerner
    replied
    Re: What do I say to this person?

    susan, you know that old saying "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.".....continue to empower yourself with KNOWLEDGE....and ummm, yea, sometimes we just have to ignore those little head voices that are telling us we need twinkies and such because isn't that how we gained weight in the first place?

    you are smart....you stated what you know. now, when you continue to melt and gain good health and yes, your brain will work JUST FINE IF NOT BETTER....your pal will be wondering why that darn scale won't move and the brainfog won't lift....and you can smile all the way to the smaller size department!

    Leave a comment:


  • susan423
    replied
    Re: What do I say to this person?

    Well, I've decided to let it go. I'm no good at debating. I pretty told her what Brook had said. She still insisted that the body needs all food groups. I told her that the body does not need sugar and processed crap. She disagreed again. I told her that my body does not need a twinkie (no matter how much it thinks it does ) Then she said that my head knows more then my body so I must "need" a twinkie How do you debate someone like that Anyone that can do a really good job of debating this, pm me and I'lll give you the website. But I'm done

    Leave a comment:


  • susan423
    replied
    Re: What do I say to this person?

    Thanks, Brook. Very well said. Mind if I quote you to this naysayer?

    Leave a comment:

Working...