6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • RosieC
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Hi Mitzi

    Do avocados count?

    (I think I know the answer but I'm hoping I might be wrong )

    BTW I am with you in keeping 2 cups of salad veg in my plan in OWL. For me it's important for the Vitamin C since we are not having fruit. You lose a lot of that in cooking veggies. I know we take vitamin tablets but I think fresh is best

    Edit: although of course you could eat veggies from the second list raw for the same effect ...

    Leave a comment:


  • Fancy1952
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Good morning and thanks for the answer Mitzi I usually convert "cup" measurements to their equivalent weight for my own record keeping. For example I had 2.6 oz. of raw spinach this morning, which sure doesn't cook down to much (didn't bother measuring after cooking) topped with an ounce of cheddar and melted in the microwave, yummy! I just love vegies and was hoping I could eat more of them on OWL. But even with 2 cups of raw spinach, that's only .9 grms of net carbs! I guess I have lots of room to add more. Ok, I just figured out my net carbs for yesterday, from vegies, and I actually ate 23.9grms of vegie carbs! (That's subtracting the fibre)

    So if I keep going like that, I shouldn't have a problem getting 17
    Thanks so much Mitzie, have a great day

    Suzanne

    Leave a comment:


  • mitzimarie
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    I just want to take a moment to thank those who have asked questions. That is a large part of what this Challenge is all about, and I want to encourage everyone to post any questions, comments, requests that you come up with. And if I'm not around to give a quick reply, hopefully there will be someone participating here who can help.

    Hey, tell your friends to come on over and join!

    Leave a comment:


  • mitzimarie
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Originally posted by Fancy1952 View Post
    Hi everyone, here's a "question" to clear my befuddled brain. So on OWL, I've added 1 extra cup of vegies. So, today for example, I had 2 cups of frozen, microwaved broccoli at lunch (with 6 meatballs) and at supper, 1 cup (measured after cooking) of mixed Oriental style vegies (containing a lot of broccoli! and onions). that was only 12.8 net carbs! I must be reading the book incorrectly or as I said above, my brain is befuddled! How much more vegies can we add on Owl rung 1? I know it says add in 5 gram increments but if that is not net grams, how do I get enough vegies to get to 17 net? Do I sound panicky? I feel panicky....

    I'd eat lots of vegies if I'm "allowed" but what's our limit?
    Hey, Suzanne

    I'm back to talk a little more about your question. I'm going to throw a few things out here...

    As I said earlier, in OWL you add 5g net carbs worth of veggies, rather than 1 cup. In Induction, the guidelines are to get most of your net carbs from veggies, with at least 2 cups coming from the "Salad" list and 1 cup coming from the "Other" list, OR all 3 cups coming from the Salad list (on pages 125-126 in DANDR). Once you move into OWL, you add in 5g net carbs of veggies from either list (don't worry about how many cups it is).

    While DANDR appears to be very specific about the Atkins WOE, I have found that there can be different interpretations of some aspects of it. For example, when I went through OWL, I continued to get at least 2 cups of my veggies from the Salad list, and ate from either list for the rest of my net veggie carbs. However, I have asked many members on the board about whether they continue to pay attention to the "2 cup Salad" restriction, or not, when entering OWL. After much discussion, I found that I have been the only person to stay so strict with the 2 cup Salad rule... meaning that once they hit OWL, they didn't worry about which list the veggies came from, didn't worry about number of cups anymore, and just made sure that they were getting most of their net carbs from veggies. It sounds like that's the way you're doing it, too, with regard to the lists, since all of your veggies came from the Other list, and none from the Salad list. As I said, I am one of the very few who stuck with the 2 cup Salad thing all the way to goal. In fact, I still try to have at least 2 cups come from the Salad list.

    Oh, yeah... let me take this opportunity to clarify: when challengers report net veggie carbs for the day - I'm not worried about lists, or number of cups. I'm just looking for your total number of net veggie carbs (no matter which phase you are in).

    Leave a comment:


  • gonnabskinny
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Originally posted by mitzimarie View Post
    OMG! Don!!

    Wowsa, it is SO great to hear from you! I am super-excited to welcome you to the challenge. Thank you for joining.
    Thanks Mitzi! I'm glad to be here. Thanks for hosting.
    I will be a good boy, I will!

    barrnone - OWL
    blueberrylady - OWL
    Fancy1952 - OWL
    Georgiana - OWL
    gonnabskinny - Induction
    happymom - OWL
    imagood1 - Induction
    jimmie 48 - OWL
    liv - OWL
    mitzimarie - Maintenance
    mizski - OWL
    RosieC - OWL
    Sham - Induction
    Valinerya - Induction
    Whatsername - OWL

    Leave a comment:


  • mitzimarie
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Originally posted by gonnabskinny View Post
    Hey Mitzi! It's been a long time! I'm back on the wagon and on induction, so I need help! Put me in for 12.
    OMG! Don!!

    Wowsa, it is SO great to hear from you! I am super-excited to welcome you to the challenge. Thank you for joining.

    barrnone - OWL
    Blueberrylady - OWL
    Fancy1952 - OWL
    Georgiana - OWL
    gonnabskinny - Induction
    happymom - OWL
    imagood1 - Induction
    jimmie 48 - OWL
    liv - OWL
    mitzimarie - Maintenance
    mizski - OWL
    RosieC - OWL
    Sham - Induction
    Valinerya - Induction
    Whatsername - OWL

    Leave a comment:


  • mitzimarie
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Originally posted by sham View Post
    Do we just state every day whether we ate the 12g vegies or do we have to state what we ate for each meal?
    Hi, Sham

    All that is required, is each day you come here and report how many net veggies carbs you got in that day. It is not necessary to provide the details as to how you got them, but it is certainly welcome information if you feel like sharing. A lot of us do give details, which gives everyone an idea of how we're eating, and often, recipes are shared. But all that is required is the total number of net veggie carbs each day. And don't worry if you can't make it here every single day... as long as I end up with numbers for each day by the end of the challenge, it's fine.

    Also, each contestant is to either:
    1) try a veggie you've never had before
    OR
    2) if you can't find a veggie you've never tried, you can come up with a new way of eating one that you have eaten before.
    You only have to do this once during the five days.

    Leave a comment:


  • gonnabskinny
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Hey Mitzi! It's been a long time! I'm back on the wagon and on induction, so I need help! Put me in for 12.


    barrnone - OWL
    Georgiana - OWL
    gonnabskinny - Induction
    jimmie 48 - OWL
    liv - OWL
    mitzimarie - Maintenance
    mizski - OWL

    Leave a comment:


  • sham
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Do we just state every day whether we ate the 12g vegies or do we have to state what we ate for each meal?

    Leave a comment:


  • mitzimarie
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Originally posted by Fancy1952 View Post
    Hi everyone, here's a "question" to clear my befuddled brain. So on OWL, I've added 1 extra cup of vegies. So, today for example, I had 2 cups of frozen, microwaved broccoli at lunch (with 6 meatballs) and at supper, 1 cup (measured after cooking) of mixed Oriental style vegies (containing a lot of broccoli! and onions). that was only 12.8 net carbs! I must be reading the book incorrectly or as I said above, my brain is befuddled! How much more vegies can we add on Owl rung 1? I know it says add in 5 gram increments but if that is not net grams, how do I get enough vegies to get to 17 net? Do I sound panicky? I feel panicky....

    I'd eat lots of vegies if I'm "allowed" but what's our limit?

    Thanks everyone,

    Suzanne
    Suzanne, I'm on my way out of the door, so I'll give my short answer. I'll expound more on it this evening, because it is actually a very good question.

    - in OWL you add 5g net carbs worth of veggies, rather than 1 cup. So in OWL, you don't worry so much about cups, as you do net carbs.

    - to whoever may be looking for ways to get in more veggie carbs: 1 cup of yellow bellpepper strips (about 150g) = 8.2g net carbs. I love to eat these with a piece of string cheese as a snack. And it's classified as a salad veggie, so it is very Induction-friendly.

    Leave a comment:


  • Fancy1952
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Hi everyone, here's a "question" to clear my befuddled brain. So on OWL, I've added 1 extra cup of vegies. So, today for example, I had 2 cups of frozen, microwaved broccoli at lunch (with 6 meatballs) and at supper, 1 cup (measured after cooking) of mixed Oriental style vegies (containing a lot of broccoli! and onions). that was only 12.8 net carbs! I must be reading the book incorrectly or as I said above, my brain is befuddled! How much more vegies can we add on Owl rung 1? I know it says add in 5 gram increments but if that is not net grams, how do I get enough vegies to get to 17 net? Do I sound panicky? I feel panicky....

    I'd eat lots of vegies if I'm "allowed" but what's our limit?

    Thanks everyone,

    Suzanne

    Leave a comment:


  • mitzimarie
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Originally posted by Valinerya View Post
    Well, considering I'm just restarting on Induction, it'll be good to have something to kick my aft into eating more veggies!

    So count me in please - Induction level
    Gotcha! Welcome

    barrnone - OWL
    Blueberrylady - OWL
    Fancy1952 - OWL
    Georgiana - OWL
    happymom - OWL
    imagood1 - Induction
    jimmie 48 - OWL
    liv - OWL
    mitzimarie - Maintenance
    mizski - OWL
    RosieC - OWL
    Sham - Induction
    Valinerya - Induction
    Whatsername - OWL

    Leave a comment:


  • Valinerya
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Well, considering I'm just restarting on Induction, it'll be good to have something to kick my aft into eating more veggies!

    So count me in please - Induction level

    Leave a comment:


  • mitzimarie
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Good Morning, All!

    Just taking a quick peek in, before heading off to work. More challengers - yay!

    Nyna, this challenge wouldn't be the same without you!

    Jane - woo hoo! Thanks for joining us.

    barrnone - OWL
    Blueberrylady - OWL
    Fancy1952 - OWL
    Georgiana - OWL
    happymom - OWL
    imagood1 - Induction
    jimmie 48 - OWL
    liv - OWL
    mitzimarie - Maintenance
    mizski - OWL
    RosieC - OWL
    Sham - Induction
    Whatsername - OWL

    Leave a comment:


  • Whatsername
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Hello! This sounds like a perfect challenge..looking forward to it.

    I am on OWL.

    Thanks.
    Jane

    Leave a comment:

Working...