6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fancy1952
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Since you are in OWL, I wouldn't worry so much with the lists anymore. ESPECIALLY when it comes to spinach. There is so much nutrition packed into those very few carbs. Honestly, it is my humble opinion that spinach should be listed as a Salad veggie, and not an Other veggie.
    Mitzie! thanks so much! I totally agree about the spinach. When I use it in salads instead of lettuce I feel like I've actually eaten something Also, the celery and peanut butter sounds good! I usually eat celery with Philli salmon flavoured cream cheese, yummy. Today I had just ham for breakfast so I'll be packing in the broccoli at lunch time at work
    Have a great vegie day everyone!

    Suzanne

    Leave a comment:


  • blueberrylady
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Yesterday, Wedneday, I had 21 net carbs from artichokes, mashed turnips, pumpkin and celery.

    I had tried marinated artichoke hearts during the last challenge but didn't like them. This time I rinsed them very well in cold water to remove the ascorbic acid taste, then fried them in butter with salt, pepper and garlic and they were better, but next time I think I will actually soak them in water for awhile before I cook them. So that is my old veggie cooked a different way.

    I made mashed turnips for supper and loved them. I haven't had them in years but now I think they will be a staple. I love this challenge!!!!!

    Leave a comment:


  • Kntrylady
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Food was touch and go while dealing with a flat on the Mountain Pass heading to town to buy veggies... I was Very hungry

    Todays veggies....
    Avocado in my omelet
    Pumpkin w/cream cheese
    Hamburger Patty along with
    Green beans w/onions
    Sliced tomato
    Jicama sticks for snack

    So for veggies today... 44-24=20 net carbs
    With my grand totals of 24 net carbs

    Leave a comment:


  • LittleLinda
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    It's been a crazy week so far with my sick boy and a teething baby. My veggies were 13.5 for Tuesday and Wednesday. Going to try some radishes tomorrow. Never had them before!

    Leave a comment:


  • happymomto4
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    I posted my menu in journal chats yesterday, but I think I forgot to report in here.

    B-Omelet filled with cheese, onion, tomato, broccoli, peppers
    L-Salad Italian style with pepperoni & Salomi, (celery, olives, green peppers, green onions)
    D-Taco Bake (Linda's recipes) with 1/2 avocado, tomato, onion, olives

    19 net veggie carbs

    TODAY I had broccoli quiche for breakfast, a big salad for lunch and then spaghetti squash with a little bit of spaghetti sauce & Parmesan for dinner. I've never had spaghetti squash. The texture bothered me for the first few bites, but by the end, I was hooked. I'm going to make it for the whole family next time. 17.5 net veggie carbs

    Leave a comment:


  • mitzimarie
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Originally posted by liv View Post
    Chocolates not a veggie - this is bothering me.
    There definitely wouldn't be as many people ditching veggies if it were.

    Earth_Joy ~ I haven't eaten celery in a while. The last few times I had it, I had peanut butter with it. Gosh those 2 things go together well... so well, that it is an "out of control" combo for me. I am nuts with nuts. This time I'm going to get some celery to munch on, and leave the peanut butter.

    Leave a comment:


  • Earth_Joy
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Sorry for posting this twice... My blackberry is messing up.
    I had 12 nc today. I was on green bean kick so, I had them for breakfast. They really didn't hold me like my celery sooo, tomorrow it is back to celery with my breakfast.

    Leave a comment:


  • liv
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Reporting in
    Chocolates not a veggie - this is bothering me. But I guess it is a good thing too.
    I had a pumpkin shake for breakfast
    And a nori wrap (chicken, avocado, cilantro, lime and broccoli and pepper) It was my try-a-new-veggie attempt. I thought it was interesting - a bit fishy - I think I will eat some with tuna next. And maybe in a soup with miso I can see why vegetarians like it - very nutritious and a lot of protein in it. I felt very healthy after eating it

    Stir fry with pork and plenty of veggies - especially bean sprouts for supper.
    Total was 23 nets.

    Leave a comment:


  • mitzimarie
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Originally posted by JulieB View Post
    I have been eating this a lot too (thanks Mitzi!). I make up a batch of 6 (big can of pumpkin) and freeze. Nuke for breakfast. I'm notorious for not cooking in the morning - ate breakfast at the drive-thru or the coffee shop for the last 10 years. I usually take it to work, nuke & eat it there. Works for me

    16.7 veggie carbs today...this is a low-ball guestimate since I ate at my sisters for lunch & didn't measure. I'm sure it is a bit more than that
    Pumpkin is so good for us!

    Good job on surviving the sister lunch, and hitting your minimum today.

    Leave a comment:


  • mitzimarie
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    My stuff for today:

    Grape tomatoes with breakfast
    Snack - jicama
    Lunch - pumpkin (MUP)
    Snack - whole, raw, orange bellpepper
    Dinner - yellow summer squash

    Numbers for veggies:
    195 calories
    44.1g total carbs - 18.8g fiber = 25.3g net carbs
    1.7g fat
    8.1g protein

    I'm just going to HAVE to get a turnip tomorrow, so I can try a pancake.

    Leave a comment:


  • mitzimarie
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Originally posted by gonnabskinny View Post
    Mitzi, thanks again for hosting this challenge. The Veggie Challenge really is helping me rethink what I am doing as I am back on program. So far 10 days in and down a whopping 19 lbs. Last time during induction I had some issues, but I think that keeping my veggie intake up this time has made me just a regular
    guy! I know TMI! LOL
    No, it's not TMI! I love that veggies have made you a regular guy.

    19 pounds in 10 days... you're my hero.

    Leave a comment:


  • JulieB
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Originally posted by mitzimarie View Post
    MUP rules! I've been eating it everyday.
    I have been eating this a lot too (thanks Mitzi!). I make up a batch of 6 (big can of pumpkin) and freeze. Nuke for breakfast. I'm notorious for not cooking in the morning - ate breakfast at the drive-thru or the coffee shop for the last 10 years. I usually take it to work, nuke & eat it there. Works for me

    16.7 veggie carbs today...this is a low-ball guestimate since I ate at my sisters for lunch & didn't measure. I'm sure it is a bit more than that

    Leave a comment:


  • mitzimarie
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Originally posted by lucyloo View Post
    well who knew I'd enjoy brussel sprouts! Made with butter & garlic as suggested, yum yum!!
    Yay! I'm glad you liked them.

    Leave a comment:


  • mitzimarie
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Originally posted by imagood1 View Post
    Not real hungry today but I made my veggie pledge!!
    Way to go on making it work!

    Leave a comment:


  • mitzimarie
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Originally posted by jimmie 48 View Post
    at supper time, i had sweet potatoe fries.
    Oh, yum... one of my favorite things!

    Leave a comment:

Working...