6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • liv
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    I love the MUP too - It is my favourite "I need something" food.
    Loved those recipes Mizski. That tomato looks wonderful.
    Yesterday I had some leftover stir fry for lunch
    And a cauliflower based soup with mushrooms for supper. (plenty of cauliflowers cooked up in chicken stock, with a bit of celery, carrots (can be left out), onion. When cauliflower is soft add water and blend (with hand blender or transfer to blender in batches), then add cream, sauteed mushrooms, parsley and cream, salt and pepper to taste)
    All in all the day was 18 net carb veggies.
    I have had a great 5 days on my first, but not my last, veggie challenge.
    Thanks for running it Pumpkin Princess.

    Leave a comment:


  • Fancy1952
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Mitzie, I'm definitely going to try that MUP recipe, thanks so much! I've made a Pumpkin "bread" recipe with sausage this morning, but instead of nuking it, I did it in the frypan with butter. It was a bit hard to flip, but what the heck, it all ends up mushed together anyway, right?

    And, Mizski, I copied your recipes into my Atkins file! What a great idea for tomatoes, even if they are Canadian hothouse right now. I just bought some nice big ones yesterday! I've eaten tomatoes stuffed with tuna or salmon salad lots of times, but never baked. Ever tried "fried" (or baked) slices of green tomato topped with cheese? Very nice in the summer

    Thanks again for the recipes everyone. I did find a delicious sounding recipe for leeks and fennel, but can't find the fennel around here. I've tried 2 towns, and will look in Hanover this weekend. If need be, I just use the leeks in the Cauliflower Leek purée that blueberrylady mentioned

    Keep eating those vegies

    Suzanne

    Leave a comment:


  • blueberrylady
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    On Thrusday I made it to 18 net veggie carbs and yesterday, Friday, I had 20.

    I finally made the Cauliflower-Leek Puree (Mock Mashed Potatoes) from the DANDR and loved it! Even hubby had 3 helpings! I've always been going to try it but kept putting it off until now. I think I will be making it alot from now on!

    Leave a comment:


  • sallyseachange
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Just squeaked the total in yesterday (Friday)... was running around and not able to get in as many veggies as usual: 22 g net from veggies.

    Had tomatoes, lettuce, leftover tomato soup (with celery, minimal amount potato, onion), red pepper and zucchini.
    Last edited by sallyseachange; November 14, 2009, 11:12 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Kntrylady
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Those recipes look wonderful Mizski. Thank you for sharing them. If I we can get some decent tomatoes from the grocery, I'll give them a try next week

    Leave a comment:


  • mizski
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Today I had recipes from my new Tapas cookbook. Here are the recipes from Friday's breakfast & lunch:



    This recipe was very simple to make and I love the fact that you can easily make as few or as many as you want.

    baked tomato egg nests

    SERVES 4

    ingredients

    4 large ripe tomatoes
    4 large eggs
    4 tbsp. heavy cream
    4 tbsp, grated mature Mahon, Manchego, or Parmesan cheese (I used shredded Colby Jack because that is what I had on hand)
    salt and pepper to taste

    method

    Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C. Cut a slice off the tops
    of the tomatoes and, using a teaspoon, carefully scoop
    out the pulp and seeds without piercing the shells. Turn
    the tomato shells upside down on paper towels and let
    drain for 15 minutes. Season the insides of the shells
    with salt and pepper.

    Place the tomatoes in an ovenproof dish just large enough to hold them in a single layer. Carefully break 1 egg into each tomato shell, then top with 1 tablespoon of cream and 1 tablespoon of grated/shredded cheese.

    Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until
    the eggs are just set. Serve hot.



    spinach & mushroom tortilla

    SERVES 4

    ingredients

    2 tbsp. olive oil
    3 shallots, finely chopped
    12 oz/350 g mushrooms, sliced
    10 oz/200 g fresh spinach leaves, coarse stems removed (I used whole baby spinach leaves)
    2 oz/55 g toasted slivered almonds (OWL nut/seed rung)
    5 eggs
    2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
    2 tbsp. cold water
    3 oz/85 g mature mahon, manchego, or parmesan cheese, grated (I used shredded Sharp Cheddar because that is what I had on hand)
    salt and pepper to taste

    method

    Heat the olive oil in a skillet that can safely be placed under the broiler. Add the shallots and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, or until softened. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently, for an additional 4 minutes. Add the spinach, then increase the heat to medium and cook, stirring frequently, for 3-4 minutes, or until wilted. Reduce the heat, then season to taste with salt and pepper and stir in the slivered almonds.

    Beat the eggs with the parsley, water, and salt and pepper to taste in a bowl. Pour the mixture into the skillet and cook for 5-8 minutes, or until the underside is set. Lift the edge of the tortilla occasionally to let the uncooked egg run underneath. Meanwhile, preheat the broiler to high. Sprinkle the grated/shredded cheese over the tortilla and cook under the preheated hot broiler for 3 minutes, or until the top is set and the cheese has melted. Serve, lukewarm or cold, cut into thin wedges.




    Everyday Tapas, 2009, Parragon Publishing, UK

    Leave a comment:


  • LittleLinda
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    13.5g for me again today

    Leave a comment:


  • Kntrylady
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Wow Mitzi, thanks for the TMI... I needed a good laugh I feel sorry for you that you can't munch on radishes anymore. They are one of my faves too. Except lately the ones making it the store are so hot it clears my sinuses and brings tears to my eyes.

    Thanks for hosting this challenge. I never realized how I grazed the green low carb veggies until trying to get my numbers UP. Whew !!! Definitely an education

    So for my last day....
    Breakfast ... pumpkin eggnog shake
    Lunch ... Cucumber sliced with lemon juice and chili powder
    Dinner ... 3 cups salad greens, radish, cauliflower
    snack ... mini peppers

    31 carbs - 10 fiber for a net total of 21

    Leave a comment:


  • Whatsername
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    I love M.U.P! What I do is double the recipe so that I can just use the whole can of pumpkin at once. Then put it in individual sized servings and put in the fridge, then reheat one when I want it.

    Leave a comment:


  • mitzimarie
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Originally posted by Fancy1952 View Post
    Out of curiosity....what is MUP? Is it an anacronym for something, a certain way of eating pumpkin? I'm wondering what I'm missing
    MUP is a name that one of the members gave to a recipe I came up with... it stands for Mitzi's Ultimate Pumpkin. I have even been dubbed the "Pumpkin Patch Princess" by another member (and she gave me a really cool graphic saying that, for my siggie).

    About the pumpkin - I use Libby's canned pumpkin that is probably located next to the baking items in the grocery store. Make sure to read the label carefully so that you pick up the 100% pure pumpkin and not pumpkin pie filling, which is also made by Libby's and looks a lot like the pie filling, which has sugar in it. Here is the recipe for what I eat:

    In a bowl, I mix 1/2 of a can of pumpkin (which is .88 cups) with 2 ounces of cream cheese. I put this in the microwave for 1 minute, then take it out and stir well. I then add a few drops of liquid Splenda (just use sweetener of your choice), 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, .5 teaspoon of allspice, .5 tsp. of nutmeg, and stir. Once I passed rung 3 in OWL (seeds/nuts), I started adding 1 ounce of almonds, which is about 22 nuts that I cut in half (so I can have 44 nuts ). I then put it back in the microwave for about 40 seconds, stir, and it is done. I find that the warmer it is, the better it tastes (although I have had one member tell me that they like it better cold). Beware, though! This concoction contains 15 net carbs. So anyone who doesn't want to use up that many carbs can leave out the nuts and/or cut back on portion sizes of the ingredients. I ate it for a long time without the nuts, and it is good that way, as well. It does have a high fat percentage because of the 2 ounces of cream cheese, but I don't stress over that. Lots of people get by with only 1 ounce of cream cheese, but I like how creamy it is with the 2 ounces. This makes a pretty big bowl, too, so you may not need to make this much. My husband always talked about how good it smells when I make it, so I made it for him one day. He couldn't finish it all because it is kinda rich. Cutting this in half would have been enough for him. I always finish mine, though.

    Leave a comment:


  • Whatsername
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    21 net veggie carbs. I feel like I ate a lot. I had broccoli, squash (ate quite a bit of), salad, a very small amount of green beans (1/4 cup maybe) and a small amount of asparagus.
    Thanks for the info on the asparagus yesterday Mitzi. I went with canned this time but found a recipe on Linda's site that I will try with fresh sometime soon. I think I might like that better than the canned. I am considering that my "new" veggie to try.
    Thanks for everything!

    Jane

    Leave a comment:


  • Fancy1952
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Out of curiosity....what is MUP? Is it an anacronym for something, a certain way of eating pumpkin? I'm wondering what I'm missing

    Mitzie, thanks for doing this challenge my girl. I guess my new vegie would have been the turnip, thing is, I have to drive 20 minutes away to get it! Sure is good tho'.

    Leave a comment:


  • gonnabskinny
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    23 net carbs for me today. 17 from veggies

    Lunch - Chicken La Madeleine with mushrooms, broccoli, and green beans.
    Dinner - Chilis Carne Asada Top Sirloin Steak, with broccoli and parmesan cheese.

    Also stopped at Whole Foods today and bought a couple of experimental veggies to try.
    Italian Eggplant and Bok Choy

    Leave a comment:


  • mitzimarie
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    My veggie stuff for the day:

    Breakfast - pumpkin (MUP)
    Lunch - finished off the spaghetti squash from last night
    Snack - whole yellow bellpepper
    Dinner - 3 cups romaine lettuce (Chicken Shwarma Salad )

    211 calories
    48.7g total veggie carbs - 17.2g fiber = 31.5g net veggie carbs
    2.2g fat
    8.3g protein

    Leave a comment:


  • mitzimarie
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Originally posted by mizski View Post
    I was hoping to put up pics & recipes with these dishes. Hope to do that later tonight.
    Ooo, that would be cool! I'll be tending to the thread through Sunday, so if you are inclined, I'd love to see any recipes/pics you'd like to share.

    The challenge ended today, but I'll use tomorrow to receive any numbers that haven't been given in the thread yet. I am happy to allow for differing time schedules, and will wait until Sunday to post a complete list of winners. So everyone, please feel free to continue visiting/posting here if you like. You have all been great, and I enjoy you very much.

    Leave a comment:

Working...