6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Earth_Joy
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    13 nc today. Sitting here waiting for the ribs in the crock-pot to be done.

    Leave a comment:


  • mitzimarie
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Originally posted by jimmie 48 View Post
    i've never had turban squash before so i had that for brunch.
    Never heard of that one! Here's what I found:

    turban squash Notes: This squash has a gorgeous rind, but ho-hum flavor. It makes a good centerpiece, or you can hollow it out and use it as a spectacular soup tureen.

    I hope yours tasted better than ho-hum.

    Leave a comment:


  • mitzimarie
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Originally posted by blueberrylady View Post
    I had tried marinated artichoke hearts during the last challenge but didn't like them. This time I rinsed them very well in cold water to remove the ascorbic acid taste, then fried them in butter with salt, pepper and garlic and they were better, but next time I think I will actually soak them in water for awhile before I cook them.
    Nyna, good for you for trying something you didn't really like more than once! There are several veggies that I didn't like at first, that I eventually learned to like. And I'm still working on some. I've had yellow squash many times, and had it again yesterday... it's not one of my favorites. I don't hate it, but I'm not crazy about it, either.

    There's one veggie, though, that I've had yuck experiences with. Eggplant. Ewww Lots of people absolutely love it, so I just need to keep trying.

    Leave a comment:


  • mitzimarie
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Originally posted by Kntrylady View Post
    Food was touch and go while dealing with a flat on the Mountain Pass heading to town to buy veggies...
    Oh, no... what a pain in the butt! Glad you're OK.

    Leave a comment:


  • imagood1
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Hi all -- Sham, glad you tried fried radishes.....I have themabout once a week - love them!! http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/radish_home_fries.html

    12.3 net carbs today...colored peppers, 1/2 c spaghetti squash, 1/2 c homemade (no sugar added) spaghetti sauce, cabbage, onion

    The spaghetti sauce was wonderful today -- all my hard work in the garden this summer and canning at the end of the season was so worth it!!
    Last edited by imagood1; November 12, 2009, 08:45 PM. Reason: added fried radish recipe

    Leave a comment:


  • mitzimarie
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Originally posted by LittleLinda View Post
    Going to try some radishes tomorrow. Never had them before!
    I love radishes. But they make me burp... a LOT.

    Leave a comment:


  • mitzimarie
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Originally posted by happymomto4 View Post
    I've never had spaghetti squash. The texture bothered me for the first few bites, but by the end, I was hooked.
    I had spaghetti squash tonight with my Shrimp Scampi Bake. Good! To tell you the truth, though, I find spaghetti squash kind of a pain to deal with. And I eat too much... makes me too full.

    Great job on getting in all of your veggies. I read in another post elsewhere on the board that you've been feeling a little bloated from them... hope that passes. (pun intended )

    Leave a comment:


  • Fancy1952
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Hi there everyone, back again. I didn't have as much broccoli left at work (in the freezer) as I thought, so it measured out to about 1 1/2 cups frozen to eat with my meatballs. Then for supper, we had fresh broccoli with our Parmesan Chicken breasts (I love that "breading" ) as well as a little (2 oz.) Butternut squash, and I topped it off with grape tomatoes. Not having vegies at breakfast sure makes it hard to get them in! I'll go back to my turnip pancake for tomorrow. Gotta long day, so I'll take snacks too.
    My total net vegie carbs today were 22.4! Just made my totals!

    Have a good evening,

    Suzanne

    Leave a comment:


  • JulieB
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    16.5 net carbs today...this is harder than I thought it would be

    Leave a comment:


  • sham
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    11th November Wednesday 13 net carbs(I tried cooking radish after reading on someones post that it tastes good and did also like it).

    12th November Thursday 12 net carbs.

    Leave a comment:


  • lucyloo
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    14 nc today. Just the usuals, lettuce, tomato, cucumber, green pepper. This challenge is making me eat almost TOO many veggies for induction

    Leave a comment:


  • sallyseachange
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Thursday 12th. It's early here too. I'll post what I had for lunch and what I will be eating for dinner. If there are last minute changes I'll update, but otherwise my veggie carbs are/will be: 28.

    Lunch: Homemade tomato soup (tomatoes, carrot, celery, onion, potato). Salad (iceberg, fennel, tomato, arugula).

    Dinner: fauxtatoes (cauliflower), zucchini

    Leave a comment:


  • jimmie 48
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    i know it's only noon for me but i've already met my 17 net carbs for the day. i've never had turban squash before so i had that for brunch. 24.9 net veg carbs.

    Leave a comment:


  • Kntrylady
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    OK, it's early, but I had to share this recipe I just found. I'm going to make it for dinner tonight, using Splenda of course.

    Stir-Fried Daikon

    Simple, satisfying, and whipped up in minutes, this makes a great
    meal with teriyaki salmon and a bowl of rice.

    Angelic Organics Kitchen (adapted from From Asparagus to Zucchini).

    Serves 4

    2 tablespoons peanut oil
    1/4 cup sliced scallions
    1 medium daikon, thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
    10–12 red radishes, thinly sliced
    2 tablespoons water
    2 tablespoons soy sauce
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1/4 teaspoon hot chili oil or more to taste (optional)

    1. Heat the peanut oil in a wok over high heat. Add the scallions;
    stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add the daikon and red radishes; stir-fry
    for 1 minute. Add the water and continue stir-frying until all the
    water has all evaporated.

    2. Add the soy sauce, sugar, and chili oil, mixing everything together
    vigorously and cooking for 30 seconds more. Immediately
    transfer to a serving platter. Serve hot.


    85 Calories, 5 carbs, 1 fiber, 1 Protein

    Leave a comment:


  • barrnone
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    I like celery in the morning with my eggs. I bring 2 hb eggs into work, mix with mayo and eat with celery - good way to get it in!

    Yesterdays stats - 17.8 veggie nc [including Jicama, onion, cabbage, mushroom, celery, radish, peppers, tomato and cauliflower] - good day!

    Leave a comment:

Working...