6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Earth_Joy
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Beef Ropa Vieja (Mexican Stew) Crock Pot Recipe
    Ingredients:

    3 lbs chuck roast (cut into 2-3 inch pieces)
    1 sml yellow Onion, chopped
    1 c Celery, chopped
    2 med green peppers, chopped
    2 med red pepper, chopped
    1 (15 oz) can Diced Tomatoes
    1 (6 oz) can Tomato Paste
    2 Bay leaves
    2 TBSP Chili powder
    1 tsp Oregano
    1 TBSP Beef Better then Boullion* or 3 Cubes
    salt and pepper


    Preparation:

    Drain juice of the Diced Tomatoes into a bowl and set the juice aside
    Salt and Pepper the meat and brown while chopping veggies
    Layer Onion and Celery on the bottom of Crock Pot (slow cooker)
    Put Meat on top
    Layer Peppers and tomatoes over meat
    place bay leaves over peppers and tomatoes
    Add the rest of the ingredients to the tomato juice and mix together
    Pour mixture over the food.


    Cook 2 to 3 hours on high, 6-8 hours on low.


    Nutritional Analysis: 8 servings is 10 nc or 10 servings is 8 nc

    Can be frozen.

    *I didn't use the Better then Beef stuff cause the ingredients didn't specify and/or justify if this was a gluten-free product.

    Leave a comment:


  • gumby87
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    I am loving this challenge! I didn't realize what a boring veggie eater I was. I am definitely expanding my horizons this week and having a great time trying new things.

    I had 22 net grams today. I just got through eating Linda's Fried Cabbage recipe that Mitzi posted earlier and both dh and I loved it. I also tried spaghetti squash today for the first time, substituting it for pasta in my favorite recipe. It was really good and worked wonderfully! I enjoy pasta and it's nice to know I can use a legal substitute that still tastes great.

    The recipe I used is here:

    Spaghettini with Garlic and Lemon Recipe at Epicurious.com

    Thanks so much for this challenge! It was just what I needed.

    Leave a comment:


  • barrnone
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    17.8 today including cabbage, lettuce, jicama, spinach, mushrooms, onion, peppers, radishes, tomatos, and sugar snap peas and brussel sprouts...great day!

    Leave a comment:


  • imagood1
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Hi -- my total is 16 for today.

    Boring day of eating today except for my pumpkin desert I'm having after dinner tonight!! I ate colored peppers, tomato, cabbage, onion and pumpkin. Your pumpkin shake sounds good Liv.

    Leave a comment:


  • blueberrylady
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Sorry I didn't get time to log in yesterday.

    I find that I'm having trouble getting my veggie count up!! I've been so busy that I didn't realize I wasn't eating enough of them and that's strange for me because I love veggies!

    Yesterday, Monday, I managed 18 grams after snacking on grape tomatoes to get the count up. Today, Tuesday, I made it to 19 by adding half a cup of pumpkin for dessert.

    I'm so glad for having this challenge because otherwise, I would have gone on neglecting my veggies in my hurry to grab something quick and get back to work. Thanks Mitzi, you're the best!

    Leave a comment:


  • liv
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Fitday has an entry called sea weed soup - now I wonder what that would be like. Sounds better than shake.

    I had a thai day today - my counting go a bit wacky but I think it is ball park right

    I had some onion, turnip and beef and egg for break fast - I know weird but that is what I felt like
    Another pumpkin shake for lunch (right after running) I cooked and froze down a lot of pumpkin around Halloween so I have plenty
    And then I had a sauteed veggies (pepper, onion, chayote, zucchini, snow peas, broccoli, cauliflower) shrimp in coconut oil and Tom Yum Gai for supper. Plenty of mushrooms in the the Tom Yum Gai (I made it myself-"sweentness" came from lemon grass and some lime)
    So I have calculated my veggie carbs to 22 today.
    Yes another one down.
    I am liking the challenge too - makes me think a lot more about veggies

    Leave a comment:


  • sham
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Brussel sprouts are delicious try them with garlic and butter yum yum.

    THanks MITZIMARIE hope he gets better soon.

    Leave a comment:


  • lucyloo
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    14 net carbs today, didn't realise I was getting so high until later in the day. Have to remember to use fitday in the am. Bought some brussel sprouts for tomorrow to try. Wish me luck! I took a bite of one when I was little & swore I would never put another one in my mouth..

    Leave a comment:


  • mitzimarie
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Originally posted by sham View Post
    I tried avacado for the first time not bad.It tasted creamy to me.If only it was a little sweeter.
    Oh, I love avacado... so yummy. I can't imagine it sweet, though. It is more of a savory thing. My favorite way to eat them is plain - just cut and eat. Guacamole is great, too.

    Originally posted by sham View Post
    Enjoying the challenge,sorry didnt log on yesterday baby has a temperature and is ill.
    I'm glad that you're enjoying the challenge! Please don't worry about not logging on yesterday. Aw, that poor baby. Hope things look up soon.

    Leave a comment:


  • mitzimarie
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Originally posted by sallyseachange View Post
    There were beans in the soup too... didn't count those as I pushed most of them to the side. Can someone remind me if pulses are counted as veggies in this challenge?
    Sally, I had to look up what "pulses" were. LOL... I am so culinarily-challenged, that I didn't know if I had just never heard the word, or if it is because you are overseas from me. This is what I found:

    pulses = legumes Legumes are plants that have pods with tidy rows of seeds inside. This category includes beans, peas, lentils, and peanuts.

    I've read in different places, where beans are referred to as veggies. And in a way, I can see why... they are plants with pods and seeds. I've wondered if edamame (soybeans) is a veggie, but I waited until the legume rung to add them. Since we have separate rungs for beans and nuts, I don't think they've counted in the Veggie Challenges.

    Leave a comment:


  • mitzimarie
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Originally posted by Earth_Joy View Post
    What is new to me is eating a Variety of veggies and eating them all day and not at dinner. I am eating Celery at breakfast. I am making recipes with veggies in it...Ah, who would of thought.

    I can finally say I am happy and satisfied with my food selections (veggies as well) this time around on Atkins.

    Thank you sooo much for this Veggie Challenge!!!!
    Ah, Earth_Joy... this is the kind of post that warms my heart. I can so relate to it. On my first go-round on Atkins, I avoided veggies... wouldn't touch one with a 10 foot pole. And I never reached goal, and couldn't maintain the loss I did have. On my second time, I found this board and entered the first Veggie Challenge. It changed my life. Instead of fighting veggies, I embraced them. And it has made all of the difference.

    You and Linda are great examples of learning to make Atkins a lifestyle change, and not just a diet. Well done.

    Originally posted by Earth_Joy View Post
    Tuedsay, Nov 10: total veggie carbs = 11.7
    This reminds me of something I meant to tell everyone... I do allow rounding up on decimals. Therefore, 11.7g is fine for the minimum of 12g for Induction. Good job!

    Originally posted by Earth_Joy View Post
    * If you would like the recipe for the Mexican Stew, please let me know and I will send it on or post it here.
    Please feel free to post it here! We love hearing new recipes.

    Leave a comment:


  • mitzimarie
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Originally posted by RosieC View Post
    Yes I know! But if you ate a WHOLE leek as in the recipe I mentioned, it would be a lot of carbs.

    They have nearly twice the net carbs of onion, by weight.

    Yes, leeks do have more net carbs than onion by weight, but a cup of onion is 160g, and a cup of leeks is 89g. Looked at it in that way, there's not as big a difference.

    onion: 1 cup = 160g
    16.176 total carbs - 2.24g fiber = 13.936 net carbs

    leeks: 1 cup = 89g
    12.594 total carbs - 1.602g fiber = 10.992 net carbs


    If you eat more than a cup, the carbs certainly will add up quickly.

    Leave a comment:


  • mitzimarie
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Originally posted by OzLover View Post
    Great job eating your veggies! Enjoying all the recipes & ideas that you are all sharing! Thanks Mitzi for being such a wonderful hostess as usual.
    Glenda! Thank you for the support, my friend.

    Leave a comment:


  • mitzimarie
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Originally posted by RosieC View Post
    Re seaweed: I don't recommend it in shakes. It has a strong, slightly fishy taste, unless you buy nori which is crisp - it's what is wrapped around sushi rolls.
    Ugh! Fish shakes.

    Mizski, your food is so interesting! I'll bet you like to cook. I'm getting there.

    Kntrylady and Suzanne - you're welcome on the Fitday tip about entering veggies first. I do usually add food as I eat it, but entering the veggies first just makes it soooo easy.

    Suzanne, your turnip pancake sounds yummy.

    Leave a comment:


  • mitzimarie
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Originally posted by LittleLinda View Post
    I had 13.5g today. Going to see if I can get to the store tomorrow to go get some new veggies. Getting a little tired of mushrooms, cucumber and peppers. Thanks for the great recipe ideas!
    Linda, I'm glad that you joined the challenge. I saw your post the other day about the scale moving again, and how you won't underestimate veggies. Good for you! You're doing a great job.

    Leave a comment:

Working...