6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • gonnabskinny
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Originally posted by barrnone View Post
    Don - I love jicama - but only find it occasionally at my grocery store. We got lucky this week when we went on Monday, so I'm wondering if they just run out during the week, since we normally go on the weekends.

    I love it raw, have never cooked it - to me it reminds me of apple, cool and crisp!
    I got the smallest that I could find, but still have plenty left over, so I will try it raw as well. I was actually kind of shocked to find that it was higher in carbs than most other veggies, so I have to be careful.

    Mitzi, thanks again for hosting this challenge. The Veggie Challenge really is helping me rethink what I am doing as I am back on program. So far 10 days in and down a whopping 19 lbs. Last time during induction I had some issues, but I think that keeping my veggie intake up this time has made me just a regular
    guy! I know TMI! LOL

    Leave a comment:


  • JulieB
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Well, a bit of an extra challenge in this challenge for me today. I am eating at my sister's for lunch today. I ate my zucchini pancake for breakfast, so that gives me an OK start to the day I'm hoping the salad at lunch is mostly legal ingredients - I'll have to guesstimate portion size. I have 14.3 net veggie carbs planned today not counting lunch - so I only have to find 3 carbs there. Should be easy enough

    Leave a comment:


  • barrnone
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Originally posted by gonnabskinny View Post
    Today I tried my new vegetable. JICAMA.
    Don - I love jicama - but only find it occasionally at my grocery store. We got lucky this week when we went on Monday, so I'm wondering if they just run out during the week, since we normally go on the weekends.

    I love it raw, have never cooked it - to me it reminds me of apple, cool and crisp!

    Leave a comment:


  • Fancy1952
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Good morning Mitzie! It's just getting light out, I've finished my exercises, and soon I'm going to walk Lincoln, since he missed a good walk yesterday.

    you take 36.6g carbs worth of fiber supplements in the form of Benefibre and psyllium husks daily?
    No, usually I take just the Benefibre supplement. Benefibre has 3 grms of carbs and 3 grams of fibre per teaspoon, I take 3 tsps in my coffee each morning - twice...so it actually cancels itself out in the count....I think....It's a formulation (made by Metamucil) based on inulin root (from chicory) that instantly dissolves in hot beverages, without changing the flavour or texture, perfect for someone like me. And since there are 3 tsps per tablespoon, I use 2 tablespoons each morning, one in each of my two cups of coffee (or tea)

    The pysllium husks is a fibre that will "thicken" liquids to a sort of gluey texture. So I use it in things like my "turnip pancake", meatloaf, anything that bakes. I don't use it as often though. Dr. Atkins mentions it in his 2002 book (p. 67-68, 109, 119, 129 and 267) but I definitely don't take it in a glass of water. Tried it once..... Oh, also, psyllium husks contain per 15 grms, 11.6 carbs & 11.6 grms fibre, so again, they cancel each other out.

    The fibre is to keep the Diverticulosis at bay...seems to work for me

    What kind of pumpkin do you use? 12g net carbs for 2 cups of frozen broccoli and just a 1/4 cup of pumpkin sounds like a lot.
    As far as the pumpkin, I do used canned. I wish I'd had the time to put down my own pumpkin, but I didn't even get a pumpkin for Halloween this year! The 1/4 c. was 3.2 net carbs, but the broccoli (measured frozen in spears) was 8.8 net carbs for the 2 cups. Flowerets have less carbs than spears, apparently

    Did you make your own tomato sauce? Is that what made the carb count so high?
    Actually it's funny. Yes I made my own sauce, but from a can of Unico crushed tomatoes, with only tomatoes, salt and a preservative (can's in the recycle bin) in it. But, when I compared the can of crushed tomatoes

    with another brand in the pantry, the NoName brand was half the carbs and fiber than the Unico brand I used! Exactly the same ingredients too! It was almost as if Unico had misprinted the label and used the nutritional info for 1 cup instead of 1/2 cup. From now on, I'll be using the NoName brand So, the Unico label stated, per half cup, 11 grams of carbs, and 4 grams of fibre...so 7 net grams and 60 calories. I had a whole cup with the meatballs! Good, but "expensive" in carbs. I'll have to do more comparisons with other brands of crushed tomatoes at the store, to see which label was correct!

    Hope I answered all your queries Mitzie I'll be having a turnip pancake this morning too. Gotta go walk the dog. I'll be back later.
    Suzanne

    Leave a comment:


  • sallyseachange
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Originally posted by mitzimarie View Post
    Sally, I had to look up what "pulses" were. LOL... I am so culinarily-challenged, that I didn't know if I had just never heard the word, or if it is because you are overseas from me. This is what I found:

    pulses = legumes Legumes are plants that have pods with tidy rows of seeds inside. This category includes beans, peas, lentils, and peanuts.

    I've read in different places, where beans are referred to as veggies. And in a way, I can see why... they are plants with pods and seeds. I've wondered if edamame (soybeans) is a veggie, but I waited until the legume rung to add them. Since we have separate rungs for beans and nuts, I don't think they've counted in the Veggie Challenges.
    Thanks for the reply Mitzi... that figures, and I didn't count them as veggies yesterday. Phew!
    Sorry to give you the job of looking up pulses... I guess it's a term we Brits use more. I think Americans use the work legumes mostly.

    Leave a comment:


  • Georgiana
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Originally posted by mitzimarie View Post
    Aren't the roasted Brussel sprouts yummy?
    Among my favorites!

    I never understood why Brussels sprouts have a bad reputation.

    I got really aggressive one year, and took a suggestion from Sillygirl (who used to run the Veggie Challenge) to separate the leaves, toss them in olive oil, and roast them that way.
    That sounds like a lot of work!

    I guess it would be easier if you cut them in half first... maybe they'd "come off" easier?

    -----

    For Tuesday I had 28 net carbs from veggies.

    Kohlrabi, red peppers, cucumbers, pumpkin, romaine lettuce, green onion and garlic.

    Leave a comment:


  • Kntrylady
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    And for today's totals (obviously West Coast since everyone else has gone to bed ).....
    Breakfast 2 Eggs, Asparagus
    Lunch Cod fillet, green salad with tomato and cucumber
    Dinner Ground Beef Patty w/cheese, Small salad, Jicama
    Snack Bell pepper slices
    31 carbs - 12 fiber = 19 net carbs from veggies

    And a daily total of 22 net carbs

    Leave a comment:


  • mitzimarie
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Originally posted by Fancy1952 View Post
    I need to cut back A LOT. I had way too many carbs today. All but 46.2 were from vegies, and 36.6 of the 46.2 were my extra fibre supplements (Benefibre and psyllium husks) so really I had 9.6 carbs NOT from vegies. I guess that's a good thing....BUT I really over did it.

    -I had the turnip pancake for breakie (yummy) 6 net carbs
    -2c. of frozen (measured frozen) broccoli, microwaved at work with meatballs (and butter) for lunch, with 1/4 cup pumpkin for dessert 12 net carbs
    -THEN 2 cups (measured after cooking) spaghetti squash with (homemade from canned crushed tomatoes) tomato sauce (1 cup) and meatballs for supper 32.2 net carbs

    On top of that, all my vegies were from the Other Vegetables list.

    So I guess this goes to show, that one CAN have TOO MUCH of a GREAT thing, ie. vegetables. I will be eating salad tomorrow! Except for breakfast, at which I will be having another "turnip" pancake!

    Suzanne... am I reading this right - you take 36.6g carbs worth of fiber supplements in the form of Benefibre and psyllium husks daily? Is that net carbs? I've never had to take any kind of fiber supplement, so I am not familiar with them. 36.6g net carbs for fiber supplements sounds like a lot of carbs. I'm confused!

    What kind of pumpkin do you use? 12g net carbs for 2 cups of frozen broccoli and just a 1/4 cup of pumpkin sounds like a lot. I use canned pumpkin, so that's what I'm basing my guess upon. I've never tried fresh pumpkin.

    Spaghetti squash carbs do add up fast... I can polish off 2 cups really easily. Did you make your own tomato sauce? Is that what made the carb count so high? I never eat tomato sauce, because I can't have a lot of carbs.

    I think you did so great today! On paper, it really doesn't look like you overdid veggies that much. I just want to make sure your numbers are accurate, before you try scaling back.

    Leave a comment:


  • mitzimarie
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Good Evening, Fellow Challengers!

    I really, really appreciate the positive feedback from you... it really makes my day to know that you are enjoying and benefiting from the challenge. So many people would rather cut back on their veggies in order to "afford" a processed product with the extra carbs they've saved. But it's not just about the number of carbs; it's about the quality - and you won't find any that are more beneficial than a fiber and vitamin-packed vegetable. In fact, a vegetable that is full of fiber may actually bring down an entire meal's effect on your blood sugar.

    Lucy, I hope you enjoy your brussel sprouts. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I liked them. The reason that I don't have them very often, though, is because my 13 year old son complains with a vengeance about the smell. He is truly a pain in the a$$ when it comes to the smells of most of the veggies I cook, but brussel sprouts is at the top of the list.

    Liv, great variety today!

    Nyna, tomatoes and pumpkin are great ways to bump up the veggie carbs. I eat them a lot.

    Carole, my veggies are the same on a lot of days. That's OK! They get the job done.

    Barrnone, you also had a great range of veggies. Excellent!

    Tammy, 2 new veggies today. And you liked them both! Well done.

    Earth_Joy, thank you for posting the recipe. Looks delicious!

    Julie, hopefully you'll find some daikon. It's good!

    Don, thanks for the jicama evaluation. 91 points - that's pretty good! I'm glad that you enjoyed the dirt nodes.

    Jane, you did it!

    Suzanne, that's a lot of net veggie carbs! Wow!!

    Mizski, another day of interesting food!

    Jo, thanks for the bok choy info and recipe... that is a veggie that I haven't tried yet.

    OK, here's my day - grape tomatoes with breakfast casserole, MUP (pumpkin) for lunch, and snacked twice on a bag of sugar snap peas (for a total of 2.5 servings), and for dinner I sauteed a cup of mushrooms with my hamburger patty, and had a whole medium cucumber on the side.

    Numbers for all veggies:
    237 calories
    45.9g total carbs - 18.2g fiber = 27.7g net carbs
    1.7g fat
    13.2g protein

    Leave a comment:


  • jimmie 48
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    10 november
    19.1 net veggie carbs

    today was the day i chose to try something new. it was okay but i like bok choy just plain raw with some cheese dip or spinach dip.

    BOK CHOY
    Bok Choy is a great choice for getting lots of vitamin C, calcium and vitamin A. Bok Choy also contain glucosinolates, which may prevent cancer.

    Braised Bok Choy

    Braised bok choy with a decidedly Southern accent. This bok choy is braised and served with meat or pork. Delicious with lamb, too.
    Prep Time: :

    Cook Time: :

    Ingredients:
    • 1 bunch bok choy, 1 1/2 to 2 pounds
    • 2 to 3 tablespoons butter
    • 1/2 cup chicken broth
    • juice of 1/2 lemon
    • 2 tablespoons crumbled cooked bacon, optional
    • dash garlic powder
    • 1/4 teaspoon seasoned pepper blend
    • salt, to taste
    Preparation:

    Wash bok choy; cut into 1-inch pieces. Melt butter in a large saucepan; add bok choy. Sauté for 2 minutes, turning frequently. Add chicken broth, lemon juice, crumbled bacon, if using, and seasonings. Cover and simmer over low heat for 10 to 15 minutes, until tender.
    Taste and adjust seasonings.

    Leave a comment:


  • mizski
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Tuesday, Nov 10: 28g net veggie carbs

    Broccoli and cheese quiche for breakfast with radish home fries

    Cabbage soup for lunch (after hearing about Sally's cabbage noir I just had to have some cabbage soup!! )

    Crazy Indian concoction for dinner. I was aiming for something Korma-like. This had cauliflower, onion, zucchini, summer squash sauteed in ghee and the requisite Indian spices (garam masala, turmeric, cumin, pinch of hot curry, etc.). In a separate pan, sauteed some chick breast pieces. Blended veggies, chicken, toasted slivered almonds with some coconut milk and simmered for a bit. Don't know what this is but it was tasty.

    Leave a comment:


  • Fancy1952
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Hi everyone, just finished reading all the posts. Everyone is doing so well.

    I need to cut back A LOT. I had way too many carbs today. All but 46.2 were from vegies, and 36.6 of the 46.2 were my extra fibre supplements (Benefibre and psyllium husks) so really I had 9.6 carbs NOT from vegies. I guess that's a good thing....BUT I really over did it.

    -I had the turnip pancake for breakie (yummy) 6 net carbs
    -2c. of frozen (measured frozen) broccoli, microwaved at work with meatballs (and butter) for lunch, with 1/4 cup pumpkin for dessert 12 net carbs
    -THEN 2 cups (measured after cooking) spaghetti squash with (homemade from canned crushed tomatoes) tomato sauce (1 cup) and meatballs for supper 32.2 net carbs

    On top of that, all my vegies were from the Other Vegetables list.

    So I guess this goes to show, that one CAN have TOO MUCH of a GREAT thing, ie. vegetables. I will be eating salad tomorrow! Except for breakfast, at which I will be having another "turnip" pancake!

    So, I'm embarrassed and sad to say, I had 50.2 net vegie carbs today

    But....tomorrow is a new day, and a better one.....My husband always says I jump into things with both feet

    Have a good night everyone

    Suzanne

    Leave a comment:


  • Whatsername
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    21 net carbs from pumpkin, green beans and squash

    Leave a comment:


  • gonnabskinny
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Today I tried my new vegetable. JICAMA. I sliced it up like french fries and cooked it in some olive oil. It tasted like a cross between a sweet potato and a water chestnut. I rate it 91 points. It had a nice bouquet, with nodes of dirt and potato, and a nice long finish!

    OK, now on to todays data
    Breakfast- Faux Egg Mc Muffin - 2 Eggs with 1 slice colby jack cheese between two large slices of Canadian bacon

    Lunch- Chipotle Chicken Salad with onion, tomato, cilantro, and peppers
    2 cups of cauliflower with cream cheese

    Dinner - 7 oz chicken with skin on and 1 cup of Jicama Fries

    21 net carbs
    16 net carbs from veggies

    Leave a comment:


  • JulieB
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    17.2 carbs. Zucchini pancakes, stir-fry with onions & peppers, broccoli.

    It was the first time I tried the zucchini pancakes - they were really good. Hubby liked them too If I can't find daikon radish, I will count this as "cooking a veggie in a new way" for this challenge...I do want to try a new veggie though, I'll just have to see what I can find. I found a recipe for "overnight daikon radish pickles" that I want to try!

    Leave a comment:

Working...