6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • mitzimarie
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Originally posted by gonnabskinny View Post
    Oh, and bought a bunch of veggies to have on hand today, including JICAMA. I hear it tastes like dirt! I LOVE DIRT! LOL
    LOL! You crack me up.

    Leave a comment:


  • sham
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    9th November 12 net carbs vegies.

    10th November 13 net carbs.I tried avacado for the first time not bad.It tasted creamy to me.If only it was a little sweeter.

    Enjoying the challenge,sorry didnt log on yesterday baby has a temperature and is ill.

    Leave a comment:


  • sallyseachange
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Ate early today.

    Cavolo Nero soup (onion, potatoes, cavolo nero, garlic), salad (fennel, lettuce, tomatoes, arugula), eggplant.
    24 net carbs.

    The cavolo nero was my new veggie. It's lovely!!! The soup was tasty.

    There were beans in the soup too... didn't count those as I pushed most of them to the side. Can someone remind me if pulses are counted as veggies in this challenge?

    Leave a comment:


  • Earth_Joy
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Hello,

    I am posting for yesterday and today. Yesterday, I really didn't plan out my meals for the day the night before so, I was kinda all of over the place.

    What is new to me is eating a Variety of veggies and eating them all day and not at dinner. I am eating Celery at breakfast. I am making recipes with veggies in it...Ah, who would of thought.

    I can finally say I am happy and satisfied with my food selections (veggies as well) this time around on Atkins.

    Thank you sooo much for this Veggie Challenge!!!!

    Monday, Nov 9: total veggie carbs = 12.9
    1c Celery 1.6 nc with my Turkey bacon
    1c Romaine Lettuce 1.3 nc with my burger
    8 oz of mexican stew* (tomatoes, celery, onion, green, red, yellow, orange peppers) 10 nc carbs

    Tuedsay, Nov 10: total veggie carbs = 11.7
    1c Celery 1.6 nc
    1c Green Beans 4.1 nc; 1c Romaine Lettuce 1.3 nc; 2 TBSP Guac (5 carbs; 4g fiber) 1 nc
    1c Asparagus 2.4 nc; 1c Spinach 0.4 nc; 1 clove garlic .9 nc


    * If you would like the recipe for the Mexican Stew, please let me know and I will send it on or post it here.

    Have a great day!!!

    Leave a comment:


  • RosieC
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Originally posted by Fancy1952 View Post
    Leeks are actually one of the "other" vegetables for Induction (page 110).
    Yes I know! But if you ate a WHOLE leek as in the recipe I mentioned, it would be a lot of carbs.

    They have nearly twice the net carbs of onion, by weight.

    Leave a comment:


  • Fancy1952
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Oh my! What a delicious "pancake"! 1 grated turnip, 1 finely chopped green onion, seasoned with salt, pepper, & garlic powder, mixed with 1 beaten egg and 1 tablespoon of pysillium husk fibre, and fried in butter till brown on both sides and set, about 2-3 minutes.
    Man, I could eat these A LOT!! I'll make one for my DH's breakfast and see how he likes it! Of course, he'll want the low carb ketchup too! Oh, that was 6 net carbs! just for 1 pancake and not counting the fibre

    Leave a comment:


  • Fancy1952
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    In France I have eaten whole steamed leeks, left to cool, then marinaded in salad dressing (oil, vinegar and a little mustard). Delicious! But leeks are very high carb for a veggie, I think you'd have to be on maintenance for this.
    Leeks are actually one of the "other" vegetables for Induction (page 110). I've seen various soups made from them, but never tried them.

    I'll be doing a sort of "potato" pancake with turnip this morning. Now here's a question, Mitzie...actually, it's kind of facetious...Do powdered greens count as a vegie?I'd add them to a shake. (Sorry, couldn't resist)

    I'll check in later with my counts for the day, great idea of putting them in Fitday first! I usually just put in my food as I eat it!

    Have a great day!
    Suzanne

    Leave a comment:


  • OzLover
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Great job eating your veggies! Enjoying all the recipes & ideas that you are all sharing! Thanks Mitzi for being such a wonderful hostess as usual.

    Leave a comment:


  • RosieC
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Re seaweed: I don't recommend it in shakes. It has a strong, slightly fishy taste, unless you buy nori which is crisp - it's what is wrapped around sushi rolls.

    Re leeks: they are an everyday veg here. Use in the same way as onions in any cooked dish. (Not good raw.)

    In France I have eaten whole steamed leeks, left to cool, then marinaded in salad dressing (oil, vinegar and a little mustard). Delicious! But leeks are very high carb for a veggie, I think you'd have to be on maintenance for this.

    Leave a comment:


  • RosieC
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Nov 9th: 19.7g net carbs from veggies

    Breakfast:
    Eggs, mayo, flax
    25g romaine (0.4)

    Lunch:
    White fish, oil & vinegar, olives
    50g lettuce (0.8 )
    50g celery (1.2)
    55g cucumber (1.7)
    45g tomato (1.3)
    60g avocado (1.1)

    Dinner:
    Lamb chops, olive oil, oregano, flax
    15g onion (1.1)
    50g tomato (1.4)
    185g courgette/zucchini (4.3)
    100g cabbage (3.2)

    Snack:
    Eggs, olive oil
    100g cabbage (3.2)

    Loving this challenge!
    Last edited by RosieC; November 10, 2009, 05:01 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • sallyseachange
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Originally posted by mizski View Post
    I never heard of black cabbage so I had to look it up. Supposedly tastes a lot like savoy cabbage. Sounds tasty. Anyways, here's a recipe for cabbage soup using black cabbage from the site I just looked at.

    I've never seen it around here though.
    Thanks so much Mizski for the recipe link! You did the leg work (googling) for me. I printed it out and will try it tonight. Sorry... it wouldn't allow me to rep you.

    Only had time to scan through the posts today, but am seeing lots of yummy veggie ideas and recipes! Way to go everyone!

    Leave a comment:


  • Kntrylady
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Mitzi, Why didn't I think of putting the veggies in first ? Brilliant!!!

    So today... Net Carb from Veggies 18 ... Barely made it
    Total Net Carbs today 22

    Breakfast - Omelet including spinach
    Snack - Cucumber
    Lunch - Tuna w/scallion, celery, mayonaisse
    Snack - Pumpkin treat
    Dinner - 4 oz lean hamburger, Green Beans w/ onion, bacon

    Leave a comment:


  • mizski
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Monday, Nov. 9: 20g net veggie carbs

    Asparagus frittata for breakfast.

    Linda Sue's Beefy Mushroom Soup tweaked: Used ground bison instead of beef, added a bunch of chopped celery and used a BIG can of Libby's pumpkin (good price at BJ's so I stocked up on it).



    Zucchini-tomato parmesan as the dinner veggie. Sliced zuke and tomatoes with a drizzle of olive oil, oregano, garlic and some mozzarella and parm cheese on top, baked. Had this with Steak-Umm braccioles.

    Mitzi, that Leek Quiche looks delish! I'll keep that in mind.

    Leave a comment:


  • LittleLinda
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    I had 13.5g today. Going to see if I can get to the store tomorrow to go get some new veggies. Getting a little tired of mushrooms, cucumber and peppers. Thanks for the great recipe ideas!

    Leave a comment:


  • gonnabskinny
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Had 21 net carbs today with 13 coming from veggies.

    Lunch - Had small salad with 1 cup of romaine lettuce, 5 slices of cucumber, 1/8 green bell pepper with blue cheese dressing
    1 cup of cauliflower with 1/2 oz of cream cheese

    Dinner - 1 cup of yellow squash, 1 cup of zucchini squash, and 1 cup of mushrooms sauteed in olive oil.

    Oh, and bought a bunch of veggies to have on hand today, including JICAMA. I hear it tastes like dirt! I LOVE DIRT! LOL

    Leave a comment:

Working...