6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • mitzimarie
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Originally posted by liv View Post
    Hi Mitzi and everyone
    I admit it: this challenge has me freaked out!!!
    Good!

    Originally posted by liv View Post
    I was really struggling getting ready for today - I do two jobs on mondays so I rely on left overs.
    Turns out I had no reason to worry - I was able to to find enough stuff in the fridge to do fine
    I started out with a pre breakfast which included peppers and snowpeas
    Breakfast was shake (I can "eat" this and drive ) I had decided to try vegetable shakes this week - just to figure out what that would be like - this was a pumpkin shake - very good stuff
    I had spaghetti squash for lunch and some turnip and roasted onion with supper.
    All together that was around 28 net carbs (So can I roll over carbs for tomorrow )
    LOL! No, no, no! No rollling over carbs... Good try, though.


    Originally posted by liv View Post
    I have decided to try sea weed as my never tried veggie. Not sure what I'll do with it but I'll think of something. I am not sure sea weed shake sounds that great
    Oh, I'll bet a sea weed shake is not really that far-fetched. In fact, I'm pretty sure that it is done. I know that people put spinach and grass into shakes, so I'm thinking sea weed isn't that far off.

    Leave a comment:


  • mitzimarie
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Woo Hoo!! I'm loving these numbers that are being reported.

    Jo! Goodness girl, you sure are taking this challenge seriously. 46.7... that's amazing. As Sherri said, at least you should be very "regular". Make sure to get a lot of water in... don't want all of those veggies to have the opposite effect.

    Suzanne, you've got a very good number, too. And I love how much fiber you were able to get. Hey, I picked up a little Fennel trivia...

    Fennel is the Greek name for marathon. Seems that back around 490 B.C.E. the Greeks defeated the Persians in a fennel field exactly 26 miles and 385 yards from Athens. They sent a runner bearing the good news back home, and ever since then the length of a marathon race has remained the same as the distance from the fennel field into town: 26 miles, 385 yards.

    Happymom, Sherry, Julie, and Jane ~ well done to you, too! Happymom, my calories were pretty high today, too. Not from veggies, though. I have a really, really good breakfast casserole that I love, but is very high in calories.

    Today I had some grape tomatoes with breakfast, pumpkin for lunch, a whole, raw, red bellpepper cut into strips for a snack, and a LOT of cabbage and onions for dinner (really good stuff). I ended up with 32.3g net veggie carbs for the day.

    I use Fitday, and added just my veggies in first before putting in all of my other food, so I could have figures for veggies only. I found it interesting. These are the numbers for veggies only:

    242 calories
    1.9g fat
    55.4g total carbs (55.4g - 23.1g fiber = 32.3g net carbs)
    23.1g fiber
    11.1g protein

    It's the protein part I found interesting. 11.1g is more than I would have thought... I knew that mushrooms had a good amount of protein, but apparently there are other veggies that do, too.

    Leave a comment:


  • liv
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Hi Mitzi and everyone
    I admit it: this challenge has me freaked out!!!
    I was really struggling getting ready for today - I do two jobs on mondays so I rely on left overs.
    Turns out I had no reason to worry - I was able to to find enough stuff in the fridge to do fine
    I started out with a pre breakfast which included peppers and snowpeas
    Breakfast was shake (I can "eat" this and drive ) I had decided to try vegetable shakes this week - just to figure out what that would be like - this was a pumpkin shake - very good stuff
    I had spaghetti squash for lunch and some turnip and roasted onion with supper.
    All together that was around 28 net carbs (So can I roll over carbs for tomorrow )
    I have decided to try sea weed as my never tried veggie. Not sure what I'll do with it but I'll think of something. I am not sure sea weed shake sounds that great

    Leave a comment:


  • Whatsername
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Just made it to 17 (net) carbs thanks to some celery sticks.

    Leave a comment:


  • JulieB
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Just made it at 17.4 net carbs. Pumpkin, yellow onion & peppers.

    Leave a comment:


  • Sherri
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Well, at least we know you'll be regular Jo. Hehe


    14 net carbs for me~Induction
    I spread the veggies out throughout the day. Starting with mushrooms in my omelet, a salad at lunch and a small stirfry with dinner.

    Leave a comment:


  • jimmie 48
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    i wayyyyy overdid my veggie carbs today. 46.7 total net.

    Leave a comment:


  • happymomto4
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    I had 18 net carbs today. I'm kind of nervous because my overall calories were on the high side. I tried the Loaded Cauliflower and it was delicious. Thanks for the recipe idea!

    Leave a comment:


  • Fancy1952
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Whoo-hoo! 26.4 NET grams today! I had cooked vegies for breakfast and supper, and raw ones for lunch. I discovered that Portabello mushrooms and red sweet peppers don't go thru' a julienne slicer as well as zucchini does, lol. And there's a lot more fibre in fresh cooked broccoli, than in frozen cooked broccoli! Tomorrow I'm going to try doing the turnips up as "potato pancakes". Minus the flour of course! Maybe I'll try flax meal in place of flour! And I have to buy my leeks and fennel tomorrow after work for my new vegies

    One other thing, counting my Benefibre that I put in my coffee, I had 41 grams of fibre today! Aren't vegetables great!!

    Suzanne

    Leave a comment:


  • imagood1
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    I love fried cabbage Mitzi - we have that about once a week! As far as how to eat turnips we peel them, cut them into cubes and boil them (like you would do a potato) - when they are soft you drain the water off them, add cream and butter, salt and pepper.....I use them as another substitute for mashed potatoes. They are wonderful this way!

    I ate 15 carbs of veggies today.....green and yellow peppers, green onion, tomato, radish, celery, spinach and green beans....wonderful eating day.

    I made chicken wings for lunch and pork chop for dinner...it's just TOOOOO good eating this way!

    Hope everyone had a great eating day.

    Leave a comment:


  • mitzimarie
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    OK, fellow challengers. It's almost 7:00pm here, and I haven't made my dinner yet. I had a long day at work, and now I'm hungry. I'm going to try this from Linda's site:

    http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/fried_cabbage_and_onions.html



    FRIED CABBAGE & ONIONS
    3-4 pieces bacon, chopped *
    1 pound cabbage, coarsely chopped, about 1 small head
    1 small onion, coarsely, 2 1/2 ounces
    Salt and pepper, to taste
    In a large skillet, fry the bacon until almost crisp. Add the cabbage and onions to the skillet; cook and stir until the cabbage is wilted and lightly browned. Season with salt and pepper.
    Makes about 6 servings
    Freezing not recommended
    * Use 3 slices of bacon if thick and 4 slices if thin.
    Per Serving: 41 Calories; 2g Fat; 2g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs [/QUOTE]

    ----------------------------------------

    I'm going to make a meal of it. Can't wait!

    Leave a comment:


  • mitzimarie
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Originally posted by mizski View Post
    I found a great sounding recipe in my new Tapas cookbook for grilled leeks. I was thinking of trying it for my new veggie too but what goes with leeks? Aren't they somewhat oniony flavor? Don't know what to have for the meat part of the meal. Chicken? (leeks and beaks)
    I think leeks and beaks would work great!

    Leeks were my new veggie a couple of challenges back. I cut them into disks (kinda like onion rings), dipped in egg, then dipped in parmesan cheese, and fried. They were good, but what a royal pain!

    I'm thinking of using this recipe from Linda's site:

    http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/leek_quiche.html



    LEEK QUICHE
    1 large leek, chopped, 4 ounces after trimming
    1 tablespoon butter
    3 eggs
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    6 ounces Gruyere or Swiss cheese, shredded (see my comments below)
    Clean the leeks well to remove any sand. Slice thinly and sauté in butter until tender. Beat the eggs, cream, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Put about 3/4 of the cheese in a greased pie plate or quiche pan. Evenly spread the leeks over the cheese. Pour in the egg mixture; top with the remaining cheese. Bake at 350º for 30-35 minutes, until golden brown on top. Let stand a few minutes before slicing.
    Makes 6 servings
    Can be frozen
    Per Serving: 235 Calories; 20g Fat; 12g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs
    This is based on a recipe from the Atkins website. I bought Gruyere cheese as the recipe said, but after smelling it, I ended up using Swiss cheese instead. Gruyere is much too strong and stinky for my taste. Adding a bit of the cheese to the top of the quiche gave it a little bit of crunch, which my husband liked.

    -------------------------------------------------------

    Again, an easy reicpe is a Mitzi recipe.

    Leave a comment:


  • mitzimarie
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Originally posted by lucyloo View Post
    13.5 NET CARBS TODAY. peppers, mushrooms, asparagus, lettuce, and snow peas.
    Gotcha!

    Leave a comment:


  • mitzimarie
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Originally posted by gumby87 View Post
    My veggie intake today was 18 grams. I tried turnips for the first time ever. Hard to believe I've never had them before now--and I'm 40! I didn't really know how to prepare them. I liked the raw taste, which reminded me of a radish somewhat. I ended up taking a couple of them and grating them up, then added a little onion, garlic & parmesan cheese and fried them like a potato pancake. They were yummy!

    I also tried Linda's Broccoli Crunch Salad today and it was good, too.
    Good job, Tammy

    I haven't eaten many turnips, but do eat them raw when I do. I agree, they remind me of radishes in a way. I'm going to try your recipe soon - sounds good!

    Leave a comment:


  • mitzimarie
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Originally posted by barrnone View Post
    Here's the veggies for today [17 net carbs]- leaf lettuce, jicama, onion, celery, cabbage, mushroom, spinach...nothing new, but tried two new recipes:
    Big Mac in a Bowl Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes
    Cabbage Roll Pie Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes

    The Big Mac was very good, will make again. Haven't had the Pie yet, that will be for supper.
    Well done! And thank you so much for including the links to your recipes. I've been looking at Linda's site for almost 3 years, but haven't seen all of the recipes. I like hearing what others have tried, and what they thought it. I had never seen either of the recipes you listed.

    Leave a comment:

Working...