Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge
I'm In.
6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge
Collapse
X
-
Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge
Hi Mitzi friend,
I would like to join this wonderful challenge that I have enjoyed participating in.
I look forward to being here with you and the other challengers as well.
Going shopping saturday to buy all my veggies for the challenge. I can't decide which new veggie to try. I'll scope out the veggie department saturday and see what I can come up with.
Thank you for hosting this challenge Pumpkin Princess
Love ya, Sherri
Leave a comment:
-
Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge
OK, I've got to try it. Even if it does taste like dirt. Already thinking of variety. BTW, do you know how long it will keep once it is peeled?
I guess I'm back on track. Keeping up with veggies, water, exercise, and vitamins. Headaches are gone and lost 14 lbs in the first five days! Major ketosis going on!
Leave a comment:
-
Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge
Here you go:Originally posted by somethings gotta give View PostFor my first new veggie I think I am going to add Jicama, never had it don't even know what it looks like, but came across a recipe for "french fries". Anybody ever had it, and if so how did you cook it and what would you compare the taste to?
jicama = jícama = yam bean = Mexican yam bean = ahipa = saa got = Chinese potato (this name also is used for arrow root) = Mexican potato = Chinese turnip (this name also is used for lo bok) Pronunciation: HIH-kuh-ma Equivalents: One jicama, cubed = 2 cups Notes: This tan-skinned tuber has a mild, nondescript flavor, but a nice crunchy texture. It's a good, cheap substitute for water chestnuts in stir-fries. Since it doesn't discolor, it's also a great vegetable to serve raw on a crudité platter. Peel it before using.
----------------
I eat a LOT of jicama. They are usually located near the root vegetables in the produce section. If you can find a good one, they have a taste that is similar to a cross between a pear and a mild apple. Many of the ones I get, though, are pretty bland. I eat them anyway, because they're full of fiber, and I'm a fiber freak.
My biggest gripe with jicama, is that it is a royal PAIN to peel. But worth the effort. I usually eat it raw, but have also fried it in butter. I added some splenda and cinnamon, and it was nice.
One more thing - I didn't care for the taste of jicama at first... it tasted a little "root-y" (kinda like dirt). But after having it a few more times, it became a staple for me.
Leave a comment:
-
Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge
Yay! More challengers!!
Lucy, Tammy, and Julie - WELCOME!
barrnone - OWL
Blueberrylady - OWL
Fancy1952 - OWL
Georgiana - OWL
goin2befit - Induction
gonnabskinny - Induction
gumby87 - OWL
happymom - OWL
imagood1 - Induction
jimmie 48 - OWL
JulieB - OWL
kntrylady - OWL
LittleLinda - Induction
liv - OWL
lucyloo - Induction
mitzimarie - Maintenance
mizski - OWL
RosieC - OWL
Sham - Induction
somethings gotta give - Maintenance
Valinerya - Induction
Whatsername - OWL
Rosie, I'm glad that you found the Spreadsheet useful. I love it.
Leave a comment:
-
Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge
I've cut it up like french fries, then deep-fried in peanut oil. To me, it tastes like slightly sweet friesOriginally posted by somethings gotta give View PostFor my first new veggie I think I am going to add Jicama, never had it don't even know what it looks like, but came across a recipe for "french fries". Anybody ever had it, and if so how did you cook it and what would you compare the taste to?
Leave a comment:
-
Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge
I'm in for the challenge - at the OWL level
Leave a comment:
-
Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge
Thanks MitziMarie that is very useful!Originally posted by mitzimarie View PostHave any of you checked out the link to the Nutritional Spreadsheet that I included in the first post of this thread? It lists each food, the weight of the food per cup, the nutrition facts, and which rung the food is allowed. I LOVE this list! I printed it out, and use it all of the time.
Here is the link to it again: (Sorry I can't get it to look like it does in the first post)http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.com/useful_files/CARB_COUNT.pdf
I actually found something on there that I ate for lunch today ... mache ... which I couldn't find on the software that I use or on Fitday, but it's on this list
Leave a comment:
-
Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge
For my first new veggie I think I am going to add Jicama, never had it don't even know what it looks like, but came across a recipe for "french fries". Anybody ever had it, and if so how did you cook it and what would you compare the taste to?
Leave a comment:
-
Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge
Hi! I'd like to join too, please. I'm currently doing OWL.
I'm really looking forward to the challenge to get in my veggies.
Leave a comment:
-
Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge
Gotcha!Originally posted by LittleLinda View PostCount me in for 12g please!

barrnone - OWL
Blueberrylady - OWL
Fancy1952 - OWL
Georgiana - OWL
goin2befit - Induction
gonnabskinny - Induction
happymom - OWL
imagood1 - Induction
jimmie 48 - OWL
kntrylady - OWL
LittleLinda - Induction
liv - OWL
mitzimarie - Maintenance
mizski - OWL
RosieC - OWL
Sham - Induction
somethings gotta give - Maintenance
Valinerya - Induction
Whatsername - OWL
Don, exellent job on your dining experience!
Georgiana, thanks for your discussion. I appreciate it.
Off to work! I'll check in this evening. Have a great day, All.
Leave a comment:
-
Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge
Count me in for 12g please!
Leave a comment:
-
Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge
Thanks! Actually, we didn't do mexican last night after all. We went to TGI Fridays, which had easier choices. While everyone else sipped margaritas and chardonnay, I had a couple of wonderful tall glasses of ICE WATER! I really was a good boy, at least almost! I had the cobb salad. All legal, but after logging in everything last night I estimated that I went over my induction allowance yesterday. I should have stopped at 1/2 the salad and taken the rest home and I would have been fine.Originally posted by mitzimarie View PostYou bet!
LOL! Oh, yeah... you're an angel.

And a joy.
I'm glad you're here. It's been a long time!
Today we are meeting somebody for lunch at a local bbq place. At least Rudy's has a nutritional guide. However, the sides!!! Yuck! Nothing to choose from, so stopping by Market Street on my way there and going to make a small salad at their salad bar and carry it in with me.
Leave a comment:
-
Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge
It is better to measure/weigh all your veggies raw, whenever possible. If you buy frozen, that's fine... but try to measure them before cooking.Originally posted by Fancy1952 View PostWow, I was just being busy on Fitday comparing "cooked from fresh" and "cooked from frozen". Almost twice the vegie carbs in "cooked from fresh"! So I will try cooking fresh broccoli, since it's one of my favourites, and since my local store seems to have stopped carrying frozen broccoli
Also... if you chop the broccoli in tiny pieces and fit it in a cup, the net carbs you will be consuming are going to be different than if you were to measure it in larger pieces. And if your pieces don't have a different size than those that were analyzed by the USDA, the carb count will again be different.
It is better, in my opinion, to weigh your vegetables raw, before washing them (to avoid weighing water). That way 100 g of broccoli will have the same number of carbs, regardless of how you chop it or how you fit it in a measuring cup.
As for the difference between frozen and raw broccoli... This is from the USDA...
Code:[B]100 g broccoli, raw[/B] 89.30 +/- 1.036 g water 2.82 +/- 0.437 g protein 0.37 +/- 0.004 g fat 0.87 +/- 0.033 g ash 6.67 g carbohydrate 2.6 g dietary fiber
As you know, in the US everything that is not fat, protein, water or ash is considered to be carbohydrate. This is why there are standard errors given for water, protein, fat and ash... but not for carbs. If you take these standard errors into account, the total carbohydrates in 100 g of raw broccoli can be anything between 5.13 and 8.15, while the total carbohydrates in 100 g of frozen broccoli ranges anywhere from 4.57 to 4.99. The differences, as you can tell, come from the different water content and from the different errors appearing in determining water and protein content.Code:[B]100 g broccoli, frozen, unprepared[/B] 91.46 +/- 0.134 g water 2.81 +/- 0.045 g protein 0.29 +/- 0.022 g fat 0.66 +/- 0.013 g ash 4.78 g carbohydrate 3 g dietary fiber
As Rosie pointed out, the carb count you are using is incorrect. There are indeed 21 g of total carbohydrate in 1 cup of boiled rutabaga... but there is fiber there too (4.3 g).I was also checking out rutabaga versus white turnips, lordy, 1 c. of cooked rutabaga has 21 grm of carbs and no fibre!
This time of the year we have Tokyo turnips around here and they are nice steamed, with butter and spices on them.Whereas the same amount of turnip has 7.9grms of carbs and 3.1 grms of fibre.
Cooking does have some effect on the carbohydrate content of vegetables, but the difference you are seeing with rutabaga comes mainly from a change in volume, not from some physico-chemical changes in carbohydrate content.Interesting how cooking a vegetable changes the sugar content, eh?
If you compare equal weights of raw and cooked rutabaga,
Raw (100 g):
8.13 g total carbohydrate
2.5 g dietary fiber
Boiled (100 g):
8.74 g total carbohydrate
1.8 g dietary fiber
The difference in total carbohydrate content is caused mainly by a loss of water in rutabaga, as a result of boiling.
It is not very clear though what happens with the total carbohydrate and dietary fiber content of vegetables as a result of cooking. Some water is lost in cooking, which can "concentrate" the carbs. Some dry matter is also released in the boiling water, which can increase the percentage of dietary fiber. Sugar in the cells can be released in the boiling water as well, which decreases the carbohydrate content. Some dietary fiber can also be lost in the boiling water.
But in the end, the differences are pretty small; for the veggies I checked, the largest differences between raw and boiled are around 1 net carb. However, you need to weigh them raw and dry... or, if you prefer, measure them by cup, but raw.
Leave a comment:

Leave a comment: