6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • mitzimarie
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Originally posted by Georgiana View Post
    I had red & yellow peppers, cucumber, onion, Brussels sprouts, kohlrabi, tomatoes, mache and garlic... for 31 veggie net carbs.

    I made roasted Brussels sprouts for the first time. This is the recipe: Roasted Brussels Sprouts Recipe : Ina Garten : Food Network
    Wowsa, G! Awesome number.

    Aren't the roasted Brussel sprouts yummy? The recipe you provided is how I do it, and it's so easy (perfect for me).

    I got really aggressive one year, and took a suggestion from Sillygirl (who used to run the Veggie Challenge) to separate the leaves, toss them in olive oil, and roast them that way. Brussel sprout chips! Gotta say, though - taking all of those tiny leaves from those tiny little heads took some time and patience. And you've got to watch them really closely, and shake the pan often, else they will burn up. But so GOOD!

    Leave a comment:


  • mitzimarie
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Originally posted by sallyseachange View Post
    Tomatoes, spinach and Minestrone - 26 carbs today.
    I saw "cavolo nero" (black cabbage) in the supermarket today. Never had that. I bought some, but need to put my thinking cap on as to how to cook it. Pity my minestrone was already cooked, or I could have put it in that.
    Great number today, Sal!

    Like mizski, I had never heard of black cabbage and had to look it up. Interesting!

    Mizski, thanks for the link to that cool site. I'm always looking for good veggie sites, and have now put it on my "Favorites".

    Leave a comment:


  • mitzimarie
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Originally posted by Alexa View Post
    15g net veggie carbs today - this includes avocado, which is ok, if I recall correctly?
    Great job, Alexa! Yes, I'm allowing avocado to count.

    Leave a comment:


  • lucyloo
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    13.5 NET CARBS TODAY. peppers, mushrooms, asparagus, lettuce, and snow peas.

    Leave a comment:


  • gumby87
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Hi, all.

    My veggie intake today was 18 grams. I tried turnips for the first time ever. Hard to believe I've never had them before now--and I'm 40! I didn't really know how to prepare them. I liked the raw taste, which reminded me of a radish somewhat. I ended up taking a couple of them and grating them up, then added a little onion, garlic & parmesan cheese and fried them like a potato pancake. They were yummy!

    I also tried Linda's Broccoli Crunch Salad today and it was good, too.

    Georgiana, I have some brussel sprouts in the fridge. I'll have to try that recipe you made tomorrow.

    Leave a comment:


  • barrnone
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Here's the veggies for today [17 net carbs]- leaf lettuce, jicama, onion, celery, cabbage, mushroom, spinach...nothing new, but tried two new recipes:
    Big Mac in a Bowl Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes
    Cabbage Roll Pie Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes

    The Big Mac was very good, will make again. Haven't had the Pie yet, that will be for supper.

    Leave a comment:


  • Georgiana
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    I had red & yellow peppers, cucumber, onion, Brussels sprouts, kohlrabi, tomatoes, mache and garlic... for 31 veggie net carbs.

    I made roasted Brussels sprouts for the first time. This is the recipe: Roasted Brussels Sprouts Recipe : Ina Garten : Food Network

    Leave a comment:


  • mizski
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Originally posted by Fancy1952 View Post
    I've already found a recipe using 2 vegetables I've never tried, leeks and fennel! I'll be trying it this week and will post it if it's any good. Fennel is one of the salad vegies, and leeks are on the "other" vegie list. Looking forward to this
    I found a great sounding recipe in my new Tapas cookbook for grilled leeks. I was thinking of trying it for my new veggie too but what goes with leeks? Aren't they somewhat oniony flavor? Don't know what to have for the meat part of the meal. Chicken? (leeks and beaks)

    Leave a comment:


  • mizski
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Originally posted by sallyseachange View Post
    I saw "cavolo nero" (black cabbage) in the supermarket today. Never had that. I bought some, but need to put my thinking cap on as to how to cook it. Pity my minestrone was already cooked, or I could have put it in that.
    I never heard of black cabbage so I had to look it up. Supposedly tastes a lot like savoy cabbage. Sounds tasty. Anyways, here's a recipe for cabbage soup using black cabbage from the site I just looked at.

    I've never seen it around here though.

    Leave a comment:


  • sallyseachange
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Tomatoes, spinach and Minestrone - 26 carbs today.
    I saw "cavolo nero" (black cabbage) in the supermarket today. Never had that. I bought some, but need to put my thinking cap on as to how to cook it. Pity my minestrone was already cooked, or I could have put it in that.

    Leave a comment:


  • Alexa
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Hi Mitizi and fellow veg-challengers

    15g net veggie carbs today - this includes avocado, which is ok, if I recall correctly?

    Leave a comment:


  • Fancy1952
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Good morning what a great day! I've already found a recipe using 2 vegetables I've never tried, leeks and fennel! I'll be trying it this week and will post it if it's any good. Fennel is one of the salad vegies, and leeks are on the "other" vegie list. Looking forward to this

    Suzanne

    Leave a comment:


  • mitzimarie
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Hello, Everyone

    The Veggie Challenge begins tomorrow (Monday), and I just wanted to go over a few reminders to help everyone stay on track.

    FIRST, though, I'd like to thank each of you for joining. I see that I have a lot of past participants, and some who have never been in a veggie challenge before. This is my 6th one, and it is my favorite challenge. Hopefully you will enjoy it, too.

    Here is our current roster: (If there are any last-minute requests to join, I can still take them until tomorrow morning)

    Alexa - Induction
    barrnone - OWL
    Blueberrylady - OWL
    Earth_Joy- Induction
    Fancy1952 - OWL
    Georgiana - OWL
    goin2befit - Induction
    gonnabskinny - Induction
    gumby87 - OWL
    happymomto4 - OWL
    imagood1 - Induction
    jimmie 48 - OWL
    JulieB - OWL
    kntrylady - OWL
    LittleLinda - Induction
    liv - OWL
    lucyloo - Induction
    mitzimarie - Maintenance
    mizski - OWL
    RosieC - OWL
    sallyseachange - Maintenance
    Sham - Induction
    Sherri - Induction
    somethings gotta give - Maintenance
    Valinerya - Induction
    Whatsername - OWL

    If you are doing Induction, your challenge is to eat a minimum of 12 NET carbs of veggies each day during the challenge.
    If you are in any phase of OWL, your challenge is to eat a minimum of 17 NET carbs of veggies each day during the challenge.
    If you are on Maintenance, your challenge is to eat a minimum of 22 NET carbs of veggies each day during the challenge.

    All that is required, is each day you come here and report how many net veggies carbs you got in that day. It is not necessary to provide the details as to how you got them, but it is certainly welcome information if you feel like sharing. A lot of us do give details, which gives everyone an idea of how we're eating, and often, recipes are shared. But all that is required is the total number of net veggie carbs each day. And don't worry if you can't make it here every single day... I realize that we are all on differents schedules and in different time zones, so as long as I end up with numbers for each day by the end of the challenge, it's fine.

    Also, each contestant is required to either:
    1) try a veggie you've never had before
    OR
    2) if you can't find a veggie you've never tried, you can come up with a new way of eating one that you have eaten before.
    *You only have to do this once during the five days

    I do have a long day at work tomorrow, and no computer access during the day. Please feel free to visit and post often, though - I love discussion! Have a great week, everybody, and I'll see you tomorrow.

    Leave a comment:


  • mitzimarie
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Originally posted by Fancy1952 View Post
    Thanks for the samples, I'll be sure to try them out.

    Suzanne
    You are very welcome! I'm getting some more together.

    Leave a comment:


  • Fancy1952
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Oh, Mitzie, I love that portabello mushroom idea. They are a staple around here, along with their partners, peppers and onions, and cheese, oh my I use Linda's website all the time, but try to stick to the Induction friendly recipes. Thanks for the samples, I'll be sure to try them out.

    Suzanne

    Leave a comment:

Working...