6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • mitzimarie
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Rosie and Suzanne - thanks for the discussion! Here are a few points about rutabaga and turnips:




    rutabaga = Swede turnip = Swede = yellow turnip Pronunciation: roo-tuh-BAY-guh Notes: Rutabagas look like turnips, only they're a bit larger and have a yellow complexion. Use them just as you would turnips.



    turnip Notes: Turnips can be roasted, boiled, steamed, or stir-fried. Select small turnips that feel heavy for their size.



    Have any of you checked out the link to the Nutritional Spreadsheet that I included in the first post of this thread? It lists each food, the weight of the food per cup, the nutrition facts, and which rung the food is allowed. I LOVE this list! I printed it out, and use it all of the time.

    Here is the link to it again: (Sorry I can't get it to look like it does in the first post)http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.com/useful_files/CARB_COUNT.pdf


    Very awesome tool for those of us who like to measure our veggies by weight, rather than trying to figure out just how much veggie we should put into a cup to consider it a full cup.

    As you can see from the spreadsheet, turnip is an Induction veggie, and rutabaga is a Rung 8 Strachy veggie.

    Leave a comment:


  • Fancy1952
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Hi Rosie, yes, rutabaga IS one of the OWL rung 8 vegies, but as I mentioned, I grew up knowing it as TURNIP, imagine my surprise to find REAL turnip I made that mistake during induction, but was quickly put on the right track by imagood1 Interesting how cooking a vegetable changes the sugar content, eh? Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of raw rutabaga or turnip ;(

    See you in the vegie aisle,

    Suzanne

    Leave a comment:


  • RosieC
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Isn't rutabaga (which we call swede) a starchy vegetable, like carrots? I didn't think it would count as a turnip ...?

    Surely Dr Atkins wouldn't have allowed something with 21g carbs and no fibre in the early levels ...?

    EDIT ... I think the database must be wrong about the fibre, though, because raw rutabaga has quite a lot, and fibre doesn't disappear in cooking.

    Glad to hear about avocados!

    Leave a comment:


  • Fancy1952
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Wow, I was just being busy on Fitday comparing "cooked from fresh" and "cooked from frozen". Almost twice the vegie carbs in "cooked from fresh"! So I will try cooking fresh broccoli, since it's one of my favourites, and since my local store seems to have stopped carrying frozen broccoli

    I was also checking out rutabaga versus white turnips, lordy, 1 c. of cooked rutabaga has 21 grm of carbs and no fibre! Whereas the same amount of turnip has 7.9grms of carbs and 3.1 grms of fibre. We always called rutabaga "turnip" when we were growing up, and never had white turnip, so I'll check it out as a new vegie.
    Suzanne

    Leave a comment:


  • mitzimarie
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Originally posted by gonnabskinny View Post
    I guess guacamole counts too!
    You bet!

    Originally posted by gonnabskinny View Post
    Doesn't tequila come from a vegetable? LOL OK, I'm a good boy, I am I am!
    LOL! Oh, yeah... you're an angel.

    And a joy. I'm glad you're here. It's been a long time!

    Leave a comment:


  • mitzimarie
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Originally posted by Kntrylady View Post
    What the heck, let's give this a go.
    Yay! Thank you for joining.

    barrnone - OWL
    Blueberrylady - OWL
    Fancy1952 - OWL
    Georgiana - OWL
    goin2befit - Induction
    gonnabskinny - Induction
    happymom - OWL
    imagood1 - Induction
    jimmie 48 - OWL
    kntrylady - OWL
    liv - OWL
    mitzimarie - Maintenance
    mizski - OWL
    RosieC - OWL
    Sham - Induction
    somethings gotta give - Maintenance
    Valinerya - Induction
    Whatsername - OWL

    Leave a comment:


  • gonnabskinny
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Originally posted by mitzimarie View Post
    Yes! I do allow avocados to count toward your veggie totals. Aren't they awesome?
    I guess guacamole counts too! Goodie, we got invited out tonight for mexican food. Three days back on track and my first big challenge. Doesn't tequila come from a vegetable? LOL OK, I'm a good boy, I am I am!

    Leave a comment:


  • Kntrylady
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    What the heck, let's give this a go. I have NO problems eating my veggies, it's keeping enough fresh ones on hand ) Maybe I can come up with a new recipe for something canned or frozen to get me through the winter months.

    barrnone - OWL
    Blueberrylady - OWL
    Fancy1952 - OWL
    Georgiana - OWL
    goin2befit - Induction
    gonnabskinny - Induction
    happymom - OWL
    imagood1 - Induction
    jimmie 48 - OWL
    kntrylady - OWL
    liv - OWL
    mitzimarie - Maintenance
    mizski - OWL
    RosieC - OWL
    Sham - Induction
    somethings gotta give - Maintenance
    Valinerya - Induction
    Whatsername - OWL

    Leave a comment:


  • mitzimarie
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Originally posted by somethings gotta give View Post
    Where do I get an old man pushing veggie icon?
    Hello! Welcome to the Challenge.

    Here is the old man icon:



    You can just copy and paste it into your signature. Thanks for participating.

    barrnone - OWL
    Blueberrylady - OWL
    Fancy1952 - OWL
    Georgiana - OWL
    goin2befit - Induction
    gonnabskinny - Induction
    happymom - OWL
    imagood1 - Induction
    jimmie 48 - OWL
    liv - OWL
    mitzimarie - Maintenance
    mizski - OWL
    RosieC - OWL
    Sham - Induction
    somethings gotta give - Maintenance
    Valinerya - Induction
    Whatsername - OWL

    Leave a comment:


  • mitzimarie
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Originally posted by goin2befit View Post
    Sign me up... I need a change and will see what happens.
    Amanda, I'm glad that you're joining us.

    I have you down for Induction... is that correct?

    barrnone - OWL
    Blueberrylady - OWL
    Fancy1952 - OWL
    Georgiana - OWL
    goin2befit - Induction
    gonnabskinny - Induction
    happymom - OWL
    imagood1 - Induction
    jimmie 48 - OWL
    liv - OWL
    mitzimarie - Maintenance
    mizski - OWL
    RosieC - OWL
    Sham - Induction
    Valinerya - Induction
    Whatsername - OWL

    Leave a comment:


  • mitzimarie
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Originally posted by RosieC View Post
    Do avocados count?
    Yes! I do allow avocados to count toward your veggie totals. Aren't they awesome?

    Leave a comment:


  • somethings gotta give
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Where do I get an old man pushing veggie icon?

    Leave a comment:


  • somethings gotta give
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Count me in, this will be my first challenge (maintenance is getting a little boring already), I am new to all this but I think I copy your names and add mine..here goes

    barrnone - OWL
    blueberrylady - OWL
    Fancy1952 - OWL
    Georgiana - OWL
    gonnabskinny - Induction
    happymom - OWL
    imagood1 - Induction
    jimmie 48 - OWL
    liv - OWL
    mitzimarie - Maintenance
    mizski - OWL
    RosieC - OWL
    Sham - Induction
    Valinerya - Induction
    Whatsername - OWL
    somethings gotta give- Maintenance
    ps. do we check in here or will you let us know?

    Leave a comment:


  • Fancy1952
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Usually when I'm working, I make our lunches from the salad vegie list, using 2 cups (approx.) ie, 1 cup of some kind of green, the others are usually mushrooms, cucumber, celery, peppers, tomato, olives, cheese and some kind of meat/fish. My husband likes tomatoes in his salad, I don't, so the salads are "custom-made"
    Before we started Atkins, I used to just fill the plastic container with greens, then add the other vegies, which would have been at least 2 c. of greens. Now I always weigh the greens, since not all greens weigh the same. As far as raw goes, I have to watch which vegies I eat raw, as they don't all agree with me. One of my daughters is very restricted in her choice of vegetables. The only greens she can eat raw, is Romaine, and then it can't be really dark green. She stays right away from most other raw vegies and is also very careful about cooked vegies, I don't think she eats cabbage, but can eat broccoli & cauliflower. When ever they come over for a meal, I always check with her before deciding what to serve (her, anyway)

    Well, must get to work, and do something beside read posts, lol.

    Next time, Suzanne

    Leave a comment:


  • goin2befit
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Sign me up... I need a change and will see what happens.

    Leave a comment:

Working...