6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • mitzimarie
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Originally posted by Kntrylady View Post
    Thanks Mitzi for posting these. I can't believe how hard it has been for me to to get my veggie carb count up (And I LOVE vegies). I've added vegies, to each meal and barely make 20 on a good day This challenge is just what I needed.
    I'm so happy that the challenge will help you! Most people think that they're getting more net veggie carbs than they really are. Taking 5 days to consciously concentrate on that number is an eye-opener for many.

    Sally - this challenge always re-ignites my enthusiasm for veggies. Getting into a rut can cause us to forget just how much good food we can eat, and participating here is a great place to get new ideas.

    Leave a comment:


  • Kntrylady
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Thanks Mitzi for posting these. I can't believe how hard it has been for me to to get my veggie carb count up (And I LOVE vegies). I've added vegies, to each meal and barely make 20 on a good day This challenge is just what I needed.

    Leave a comment:


  • sallyseachange
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Oh my Mitzi!!! Inspiring recipes! So much so that I'm gonna have to start the challenge a day early!!!

    Leave a comment:


  • mitzimarie
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Me, again

    I just wanted to throw a few more recipes out there, in case some of you need ideas. I provided these recipes in the last Veggie Challenge, but they are some of my favorites... so good that they usually "hook" someone into realizing that veggies can taste really, really good. Since we have some members that have never been in a Veggie Challenge before, I'm going to include them again.

    These are all from Linda's website, and I've included the links. All of the comments are hers, as is the Nutrition info. I would encourage everyone to come up with their own counts, rather than rely upon someone else's. It's not that I don't trust Linda... I just think it's a better idea to verify the info on your own. I recently made a recipe new to me (not from Linda's site) that proved to be quite different from the counts that were provided.




    From Linda's website:

    Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes



    "LOADED" CAULIFLOWER
    1 cup cooked cauliflower
    1 teaspoon butter
    Salt and pepper, to taste
    1 ounce cheddar cheese, shredded
    1 tablespoon ranch dressing or sour cream
    1 strip bacon, crumbled
    1 teaspoon chives
    Butter and season the cauliflower. Place in an individual-serving baking dish, then top with the cheese. Microwave or broil until the cheese is melted. Top with ranch dressing, bacon and chives.
    Makes 1 serving
    Do not freeze
    Per Serving: 290 Calories; 25g Fat; 12g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs
    I wasn't trying to pretend that this was a baked potato, but I had the idea of topping cauliflower with all of the things that go on a baked potato. It was quite good.

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


    Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes



    TODD'S GREEN BEANS
    1 pound fresh green beans *
    6 ounces onion, sliced thick *
    1 tablespoon oil
    1-2 tablespoons butter
    Salt and pepper, to taste
    In a large skillet or wok, sauté the green beans in oil and 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat about 4-5 minutes or until they start to brown. Add another tablespoon of butter, if needed, and add the onions. Sauté until the onions are nice and brown. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
    Makes 4-6 servings
    Can be frozen
    * You can also use a 16-ounce bag of frozen thin green beans that have been thawed completely and patted dry. I used frozen beans. I used a medium onion plus one small onion to get 6 ounces.
    Per 1/4 Recipe: 126 Calories; 9g Fat; 2g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 6g Net Carbs
    Per 1/6 Recipe: 84 Calories; 6g Fat; 1g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs
    My friend Nancy's son-in-law Todd came up with this recipe and they're very good. This is a simple recipe yet it has a nice flavor that would go well with just about any main dish. You could make this better suited for induction by cutting the onion back to one small one or about 2 1/2 ounces. Click the photo to see a close-up.

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes



    PORTOBELLO PARMESAN
    2 portobello mushroom caps
    Salt and pepper, to taste
    Pinch garlic powder
    2 tablespoons spaghetti sauce
    2 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded, 1/2 cup
    1 ounce freshly grated parmesan cheese, 1/4 cup
    Fresh parsley, chopped, optional
    Very gently scrape the gills off the underside of the mushroom caps with a spoon and cut off the stems to make them level with the underside of the mushrooms. Brush the mushrooms with a damp cloth to clean them. Place the caps stem side up on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake at 400º 10 minutes. Turn the caps stem side down and bake another 5 minutes.
    Place the mushrooms stem side up on the same baking sheet. Sprinkle them with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Spread each with 1 tablespoon of the spaghetti sauce. Divide the mozzarella and parmesan cheeses between the mushrooms. Bake at 400º about 5-7 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Garnish with chopped parsley, if desired. Serve as a meatless main dish or as a side dish.
    Makes 2 servings
    Do not freeze
    Per Serving: 198 Calories; 12g Fat; 15g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 6g Net Carbs
    This is based on a recipe by Giada De Laurentiis. She grilled her mushrooms and baked this more like a casserole with a lot more sauce. Since the sauce has so many carbs, I cut it back to just 1 tablespoon per mushroom and it was plenty. It's the cheese that's important here and there's plenty of it.

    -----------------------------------------

    In the green bean recipe I like to throw mushrooms into the mix, as well. Yummy!

    In the mushroom recipe, I usually leave off the spaghetti sauce and just use cheese.

    Leave a comment:


  • mitzimarie
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Originally posted by gumby87 View Post
    Mitzi,
    That shrimp scampi bake sounds so good! I haven't tried spaghetti squash yet, so this recipe will definitely be on my menu this week.
    Ah, spaghetti squash!

    About preparing it - maybe some of the other challengers can chime in about the easiest way to do it. I've seen different approaches... some cut it before cooking it, and others cut if after.

    The first time I made it, I tried cutting it first. Man, is that squash hard! I had a devil of a time trying to cut it. After finally splitting it, I then baked it in the oven in a water bath. The next time I prepared it, I left it whole and poked some holes in it with a skewer I use for grilling, and cooked it in the microwave. I find the second method a lot easier... it was super-easy to cut the squash after it is cooked.

    OK, I've gotta come clean. Martha Stewart, I'm NOT (wish I was!). I'm not a very good or experienced cook, and I can always use tips and suggestions for the kitchen/cooking. Looking forward to learning some new stuff this week.

    Leave a comment:


  • gumby87
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Mitzi,
    That shrimp scampi bake sounds so good! I haven't tried spaghetti squash yet, so this recipe will definitely be on my menu this week.

    Thanks!

    Leave a comment:


  • mitzimarie
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Good Morning, Everyone!

    I'm excited to welcome two more of my friends to the Veggie Challenge! Sally and Alexa, thank you so much for joining.

    Alexa - Induction
    barrnone - OWL
    Blueberrylady - OWL
    Earth_Joy- Induction
    Fancy1952 - OWL
    Georgiana - OWL
    goin2befit - Induction
    gonnabskinny - Induction
    gumby87 - OWL
    happymomto4 - OWL
    imagood1 - Induction
    jimmie 48 - OWL
    JulieB - OWL
    kntrylady - OWL
    LittleLinda - Induction
    liv - OWL
    lucyloo - Induction
    mitzimarie - Maintenance
    mizski - OWL
    RosieC - OWL
    sallyseachange - Maintenance
    Sham - Induction
    Sherri - Induction
    somethings gotta give - Maintenance
    Valinerya - Induction
    Whatsername - OWL

    What a great group we have so far!
    Last edited by mitzimarie; November 8, 2009, 08:17 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Alexa
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Hi Mitzi,

    I'm in! I think I had better go for induction because my current method not workkingso doing reinduction from Monday.

    Thanks

    Leave a comment:


  • sallyseachange
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    I'm in too Mitzi!! Maintenance
    Thanks for hosting this cool challenge again!

    Leave a comment:


  • Fancy1952
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Hi Mitzi, thanks for the link to the carb counter. I had found that some time ago, and it's in my kitchen along with pages of recipes from Linda's web site. I've looked for jicama, but it's not carried in stores around here, I'll have to check farther away, when we go to the city next. I've also copied and pasted your recipe for Shrimp Scampi to serve my 2 men, because they love shrimp. I love the sp. squash but will stick to my meat/chicken sauce thanks I've never been a seafood lover.

    Can't wait to start this challenge!

    Suzanne

    Leave a comment:


  • Sherri
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Originally posted by mitzimarie View Post
    SHERRI! What a pleasant surprise to come home to, this evening! You've just made my day.

    Will you being doing Induction during the Challenge?
    Hi buddy xo
    Yes, induction. I'm really happy at this phase.
    I'm glad I made your day. Yay us! LOL
    I look forward to this challenge each time. It really sets me on course for success. Thanks Mitzi Girl!
    Love ya, Sherri xo

    Leave a comment:


  • mitzimarie
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    I'm planning some meals for next week, and thought I'd share one of my favorite recipes:

    Shrimp Scampi Bake



    Prep Time: 30 Minutes
    Cook Time: 15 Minutes
    Ready In: 45 Minutes
    Servings: 6

    "This rendition of a classic dish of shrimp baked in butter, garlic, lemon juice and parsley, is even better with the help of Dijon-style mustard."
    Ingredients:
    1 cup butter
    2 tablespoons prepared Dijon-style mustard
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    1 tablespoon chopped garlic
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
    2 pounds medium raw shrimp, shelled,
    deveined, with tails attached

    Directions:
    1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
    2. In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the butter, mustard, lemon juice, garlic, and parsley. When the butter melts completely, remove from heat.
    3. Arrange shrimp in a shallow baking dish. Pour the butter mixture over the shrimp.
    4. Bake in preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until the shrimp are pink and opaque.

    ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2009 Allrecipes.com Printed from Allrecipes.com 11/6/2009

    -----------------------------------------------------

    This is in my short list of all-time favorite meals. I pour it over spaghetti squash... mmmmm.... I always eat too much!

    ----------------------------------------------------


    spaghetti squash = calabash = vegetable spaghetti Notes: After it's cooked, you can dig a fork into the flesh of a spaghetti squash and pull out long yellow strands that resemble spaghetti. Though they taste like squash, the "noodles" can serve as a low-carb substitute for pasta.

    Leave a comment:


  • mitzimarie
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Originally posted by Earth_Joy View Post
    I'm In.
    Excellent! It's a pleasure to meet you, Earth_Joy.

    Here's our current roster... if any of you discover an error, just let me know.

    barrnone - OWL
    Blueberrylady - OWL
    Earth_Joy- Induction
    Fancy1952 - OWL
    Georgiana - OWL
    goin2befit - Induction
    gonnabskinny - Induction
    gumby87 - OWL
    happymomto4 - OWL
    imagood1 - Induction
    jimmie 48 - OWL
    JulieB - OWL
    kntrylady - OWL
    LittleLinda - Induction
    liv - OWL
    lucyloo - Induction
    mitzimarie - Maintenance
    mizski - OWL
    RosieC - OWL
    Sham - Induction
    Sherri - Induction
    somethings gotta give - Maintenance
    Valinerya - Induction
    Whatsername - OWL
    Last edited by mitzimarie; November 8, 2009, 08:16 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • mitzimarie
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Originally posted by Sherri View Post
    Hi Mitzi friend,
    I would like to join this wonderful challenge that I have enjoyed participating in.
    I look forward to being here with you and the other challengers as well.
    Going shopping saturday to buy all my veggies for the challenge. I can't decide which new veggie to try. I'll scope out the veggie department saturday and see what I can come up with.
    Thank you for hosting this challenge Pumpkin Princess
    Love ya, Sherri
    SHERRI! What a pleasant surprise to come home to, this evening! You've just made my day.

    Will you being doing Induction during the Challenge?

    Leave a comment:


  • mitzimarie
    replied
    Re: 6th SemiAnnual Veggie Challenge

    Originally posted by gonnabskinny View Post
    OK, I've got to try it. Even if it does taste like dirt. Already thinking of variety. BTW, do you know how long it will keep once it is peeled?
    Don ~ You can keep them in the fridge for a couple of days, until you are ready to cut them. Although they can vary a lot in size, the ones available to me have been pretty big. I peel the whole thing, and cut it up into pieces (whatever shape you want; I keep them kinda thin, as jicama retains its crunchiness). Then I measure out cup portions on my little food scale and put them into plastic baggies to stick in the fridge (130g = 1 cup). I usually get about 4 cups out of the size I get, and I've kept these in the fridge for a few days.


    Originally posted by gonnabskinny View Post
    I guess I'm back on track. Keeping up with veggies, water, exercise, and vitamins. Headaches are gone and lost 14 lbs in the first five days! Major ketosis going on!
    Wow! Well done, Don!!

    14 pounds in 5 days... If only it worked that way for me.

    Leave a comment:

Working...